First time hunting Pheasant

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

First time hunting Pheasant

Postby kingbee » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:01 am

Im going Pheasant hunting for the first time this weekend. They are realeased birds. There is going to be about 3 or 4 of us going, no dogs unfortunatly. What should I expect? Will they run for a while and not fly since they are released birds?

Im excited, I cant wait to shoot at some birds.
Mallards - 5
Woodie - 1
Bluewing - 1
Geese - 0
kingbee
hunter

Postby duckweed » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:13 pm

they might run or you might have to kick them to get them to fly. we hunt without a dog and killed 6 today with 4 of us in one hour. so be ready to be caught off guard cause they will scare ya. good luck.
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby kingbee » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:08 am

Turned out to be a pretty slow day. We got there and walked fences and kicked through some thick stuff with nothing. We walked from a field into some woods and there was one sitting on the ground. My buddy shot at it and missed, so it took off running and then flew away, he shot it in the air. Later he kicked up another. That was the only two shots we heard that day at all. We didnt meet another hunter that saw one either.

Got two geese and a duck that afternoon though. So the day wasnt a total loss.
Mallards - 5
Woodie - 1
Bluewing - 1
Geese - 0
kingbee
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:32 pm

my cousin own a game farm and from helping him move birds and set out birds i have found that pen raised pheasants run less than wild birds
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:48 pm

I sometimes work for a ranch that puts out those penned birds for hunts. They will fly but hold really, really tight. I can't imaging finding them without a dog or the person who placed them in the field.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:20 pm

sorry to hear your hunt didnt go as good as youd have liked it to. but, great way to salvage the day by getting the ducks and geese. :thumbsup:

ive hunted those "put and take" places, but its nothing like hunting wild birds. wild birds are much smarter. theyll run allot more, double back...whatever it takes to escape. it really takes a good dog to be succsessful consistently on wild ringnecks. on the put and takes weve had the dogs catch and retrieve live birds. :laughing: like someone said, sometimes you gotta kick em in the rear end to gete em to fly.
never the less, it is still fun and gives the dog work

in your case they either ran, or they sat real tight. they might have allowed you to walk right by without flushing.(thats were the dogs really come into play).

i hope your next pheasant hunting experience is much better. it really is allot of fun. a decent dog will make ALLOT of difference in how your hunt turns out.(as long as theres birds around)

take care :smile:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Upland Game