Pheaant load

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Pheaant load

Postby Ryan_719 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:58 pm

Well, this weekend is the opener for pheasants out here in Sacramento California.

I have always shot #6's at these things, but I was thinkin about switchin up this year to #5's. Half of the birds I will hunting are planters, and hopfully the other half will be real roosters. I know the planters you can throw a rock at to kill, but does anybody suggest a certain load I should use.?

I have always liked #6's but I just want to see what anybody else has to say about this.
Ryan_719
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:29 pm

i shoot #5 almost all the time and even have been known to have a #4 as shell 4 and 5

i have friends whom shot #4 all the time

i think #5 is the best all around shell if you don't load your own.... if you do this then #4/#6 mix shot shells are be pheasent killing fools from my experance

all in all if you put the bead on the bird it will die i just found i have had "A LOT" less cripps after swiching form #6 to #5 good call if you as me :thumbsup:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby choclab » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:39 pm

#5 is some good good stuff. Thats my favorite load :thumbsup: Kills the hell out of chukar and pigeons too. #6 steel for the first shot and #4 steel for the second is o.k. when you are hunting a non-toxic shot area.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:27 pm

i shoot the cheapest 5 shot i can find i just bought a case the other day and they were 3.90 a box thats about as good as it gets around here
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:04 am

I don't really like to use lead so I shoot all number 4 steel, 3", 12GA. I'm too young to remember the good ol days when you could kill everything with lead and I'm too cheap to shoot bismuth or tungsten or petrified wooly mammoth ivory or whatever it is that makes a shotshell cost $2.00.

Steel kills great!
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:14 am

If its steel I usually shoot 4's, but lots of time I just end up using 3's and sometimes even 2's because usually have alot left over from duck hunting and I don't feel like buying more shells.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:05 pm

i like 2 3/4" winchester #4's or #5's(lead). im not so sure about the pheasants though. :mrgreen:

MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Upland Game