dove shooting tip needed

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

dove shooting tip needed

Postby jg1129 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Asking for tips on how to shoot dove when they're coming right at you above your head. I am missing horribly. Left to right and right to left shots, no prob. But groups coming over my head -- right at me -- are safe. Any tips?
jg1129
hunter

Re: dove shooting tip needed

Postby luie b » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Using a mojo dove I presume? I have a lot of shots of dove flying 5 ft. off the ground coming at me and trying to land on my mojo decoys. This is by far the toughest shot. I like to stand up to shoot and what this usually does is flares them to the right or left which is a good shot because it's very hard to even see the dove when it's coming at you.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Actually it is a pretty easy shot. Watch the bird with the gun unmounted. When it is just before a true overhead shot, with your weight on the rear foot, mount the gun blot out the bird and fire. Your momentum of covering the bird should carry through so you don't stop swinging.
To pactice this shoot some station 8 on a skeet field with an unmounted gun, fast and furious.
Head down and Keep swinging.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:29 pm

generally, shooting at a bird coming straight at you is pretty simple. shoulder the gun and start "below" the bird and swing up until you cover it up then *BAM*. the head-on shots are my favorites....I like to see how close I can make them fall.

guy we used to hunt with could make a head-on bird drop within a couple of feet consistently. once saw him drop one directly IN his bucket
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:11 am

Swinging up & through until the bird is covered is the way to do it...an incoming overhead bird is almost like a rising shot as you have to seemingly shoot over it due to the angle. I love these shots and always try to shoot one where I can catch it.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Upland Game