Help Me Build My Dream Trip (MT, ND, SD, NE)

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Help Me Build My Dream Trip (MT, ND, SD, NE)

Postby Idaho Savage » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Friends,

So here's the deal. I'll be leaving Idaho on or around Halloween and heading East through the mecca of roosters, quail and sharp tail for a work trip that involves the following locales:

Great Falls, MT
Butte, MT
Bozeman, MT
Lewiston, MT
Billings, MT
Minot, ND
Grand Fork, ND
Bismarck, ND
Fargo, ND
Sioux Falls, SD
Rapid City, SD
Omaha, NE
Lincoln, NE

The beauty is that I work for a hunting brand and will be free to hunt along the way with my WPG. I will be documenting the trip on our blog and using GoPros as well as regular cameras. It should be a real hoot. What I need, though, is help with public, DIY hunting spots along the way. I don't have cash to cover anything besides licenses, so guided stuff and pay-to-play is out of the question.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated, either posted here or PM'ed to me. Even better would be finding some time to hook up with DHC members for a hunt or two. And yes, I can bring my waterfowl gear if you tell me it's worth it, though lugging decoys, spinners and all my gear sounds a bit daunting!

Cheers and thank you!

RGC
Idaho Savage
hunter

Re: Help Me Build My Dream Trip (MT, ND, SD, NE)

Postby 3200 man » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:36 am

Well , get in line ! There are hundreds in front of you , already ! A real job , would be better for your retirement income ?
3200 man
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:02 pm

3200 man wrote:Well , get in line ! There are hundreds in front of you , already ! A real job , would be better for your retirement income ?

I'm going to go ahead and say I have absolutely no idea what this means.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Not going to find very good pheasant numbers east of the james river in south dakota this year, especially on public land. You should still see some birds, but don't expect to see 200 birds blow out of a 1 acre patch of cover.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:24 pm

tornadochaser wrote:Not going to find very good pheasant numbers east of the james river in south dakota this year, especially on public land. You should still see some birds, but don't expect to see 200 birds blow out of a 1 acre patch of cover.

Good to know. Coming from Idaho where most of our once-ripe habitat has been destroyed, getting into a covey of five roosters would be boner city. But yeah, having hunted ND before, seeing those "swarms" is truly moment of divine beauty.
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:11 am

One thing that will help is a lot of crop is coming out already. Guys are pushing hard to get what they can done before this front comes in later today/tomorrow.

tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:56 am

When you get in the Great Falls area, Holloween is about the time the snowies show up at Freezeout Lake WLMA just north of here. There is also some good upland pheasant, sharpies, hun hunting on the 11,000 acre State Owned, no shut down, refuge. Besides that theres are lots of BMA's you can sign in to hunt, check with Region 4 Office at Giant Springs State Park. Depending on the weather you should have a good time around here.
Be Safe and Have Fun
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Force Fetch wrote:When you get in the Great Falls area, Holloween is about the time the snowies show up at Freezeout Lake WLMA just north of here. There is also some good upland pheasant, sharpies, hun hunting on the 11,000 acre State Owned, no shut down, refuge. Besides that theres are lots of BMA's you can sign in to hunt, check with Region 4 Office at Giant Springs State Park. Depending on the weather you should have a good time around here.
Be Safe and Have Fun

Not that's what I'm talking about! Thank so much, Force Fetch!
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:14 pm

When in Montana, check with the local region offices or get the complete BMA set of maps for free same place. You I really like some of the stuff around Lewistown although they had a foot of snow yesterday.
Force Fetch
hunter

Return to Upland Game