Need opinions on turkey call web site

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Need opinions on turkey call web site

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:15 pm

Hey guys, first let me start by saying that I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL ANYTHING. My good friend makes and sells custom hand made turkey calls. Currently, Gander Mt. is carrying them. The problem is that he has had thousands of hits on his web site but has yet to sell one there. They do sell good on e-bay. He doesn`t know why and niether do I. They are awsome calls for the real turkey hunters!!

Here`s what I`m asking from all of you. Go to his web site, http://www.cuttnrun.com/index.htm and check it out. Look at the site layout, the pics, the call recordings and the prices and let me know what you honestly think. Please be honest, no matter what you think. Again not asking you to buy anything, just help a couple of dedicated turkey boys get off the ground.

STUMP
Last edited by stumpjumper on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:52 pm

great site i am considering buying a call
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:58 pm

i think they are very nice calls. they look great and sound great. the craftsmanship looks excellent. the website was easy to use. i dont see any problems there. :thumbsup:

one reason that i think(and i could be wrong) that they arent selling, is that these calls look like something that would sit on your mantle rather than in your hunting vest. theyre just beautiful calls. i think most hunters dont want to spend the extra money on a call for hunting because it has fancy wood or engravings. with those features aside, there are allot of calls on the market that have the same sound board combos,(that sound similar)but for half the price(granted, the different woods gives different tones). so, to someone who doesnt really care what their call looks like, it would be hard to pay double just for that feature.

thats just my take, i hope that makes sense. good luck with business.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:18 am

Thanks for the comments A-Bomb. He is going to lower the prices on the calls very soon. That is something that he has decided. Illinosduckboy15, if you would like to purchase a call give Bruce a call at home ( # is on web Page). He will give you a lower price.

Thanks; STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:26 am

:help: come on guys, I need your help here. Just take a quick look and good or bad let me know what you think. :help:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:36 pm

The site good, easy everything is where you'd expect it to be. But like A-bomb said they look like mantle peices, beautifull looking calls. But I have to ask why are they all the same price? Isn't each wood alittle more expensive than others? Maybe it was just my computer but I could hear the slate and glass very good but the crystal sounded great. Sorry I don't need a call right now or i'd help your buddy out as there arn't any turkeys in AK but I'll make sure and check back in a few years. :salude:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:22 pm

Bruce tries to keep the prices all inline with one another. It does cost more for some types of woods. In the end it averages out that he makes the same profits. It`s sounding like maybe the calls are to pretty and guys are afraid to bang them up a bit. Thanks for the info

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:51 pm

With it being a little closer to turkey season I figure that guys will be a little more willing to take a look and give me some feed back. Also Bruce has lowered his prices.

STUMP
Last edited by stumpjumper on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:23 pm

1)the site is simple. almost too simple. i dont mean to talk bad about the design of the site, but it is plain. i can appreciate it for what it is. it gets the point across. the site is obviously about turkey calls. i can't put my finger on it, but it almost feels cheap. :huh: i think it is the single color background and the same fonting and sizing on the different pages.

2)is there a warranty/gurantee? if there is, i didnt notice it. it seems liek the man takes pride in his work from teh way he describes it and the way that you are willing to back him up on it. but if i looked thru the whole website and did not notice a warranty/gurantee, that is a problem.

3)does he offer different kinds of striker? what are the strikers made out of? what do they look like? i didnt see a picture of a strike on teh website. i know that all teh work he does goes into the slate part of the call. i totally understand that. but if you have a wonderful slate and throw a cheap striker to it, you dont have much. i am not say that he skimps on the striker, but as a customer i woudl not know since i have not seen one paired with a slate.

4)if he has a decent number of customers (you included) he should have a section for satisfied customers to post responses to his products. also, the trophy room looks a little staged. i can tell that most of the pics were taken in the same patch of yard. i can understand that. i have pictures of my own hunts that look just like that. but a doubting customer could take a quick look and think that they were staged pictures. variety is better. but that is somethign that will take time to actually harvest the birds and take more pictures. in a perfect world it would be nice to see the birds in the woods where they were taken.

5)would he considre making a different style call? i am not a turkey hunter, so i do not know which call is bgetter than others. but as a prospective new customer i would like to haqve options in my call. i do not knwo how much he has invested in tooling for the slate calls, nor how much it owuld cost to retool to make diaphram, box, or push/pull calls. but it may be an option to expand the site if the money is there to back it.

6)is the owner affiliated with any conservation groups (DU, delta waterfowl, NWTF, etc)? if so, he should mention it. some people buy products just because of those types of things. also, does he take his calls to any wildlife shows or arts festivals? if so, he should have a place on teh sight to announce his schedule for such events.

7)i saw that he sell sthe calls on ebay, and i saw that he had his seller name listed. he shoudl replace that with a direct link to his ebay store/account so that it is even quickerf for the customer to get to his calls. how often does he sell teh calls on ebay? constantly or just when he has an overage of calls?

ok, that is my opinion. hope that aint too much like an a$$hole. that is the whoel truth with no buffer. if anyone disagrees with me then that would be even better to learn from. i am sure that others see the site differently from me. good luck no matter what.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:37 am

Fowl....... Now that`s what I`m talking about! Straight up honesty! :thumbsup: Keep em coming guys.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:47 am

i actually thought i was being too harsh. figured i would get a few snide comments.
:huh:
glad that i could help :thumbsup:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:36 pm

Not at all Fowl, you gave me what I asked for.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:33 pm

what is the differenc ebetween the differnt combos (double glass, slate/glass, etc.)? do the different kinds of wood have an effect on the sound of the call? or is it just an aesthetic thing?

these are just questions on my behalf. may or may not be too in depth to cover on the website.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:22 pm

Fowl as you stated this may be to much info to cover. But basicaly it goes like this, slat is great for those soft calls such as the purr, and the contented clucks. It is a good all around surface for most applications and in the hands of a good caller it can cover all sounds. Glass and double or even triple glass has a higher frequency to it and can be presented from long distances. It it great for excited yelps and cutts. Crystal is even higher in frequency. It can hit 15,000 megahertz and at times drive a tom crazy. The sounds coming out of it are really crisp. The draw backs to glass and crystal is the maintence aspect of the call surface. It is harder to keep conditioned over slat. But when conditioned properly for me crystal is my favorite hands down.

Also let me try to briefly answer some of your comments you posted earlier.

1. Agreed. I would like to see it ......more professional. He has a friend set up the design. But he is an IT guy not a turkey hunter

2. All calls carry a lifetime warrenty from defects. To date 1 call has been returned for a defect. the wood of the pot developed a crack. The call was replaced and the owner is very happy. And yes, we take GREAT pride in our work. Nothing is mass produced and never will be!!!

3. A hickory or purpleheart sticker comes with each call. Nothing fancy there. he does however make and sell custom strickers out of excotic woods. They sell for $15 a piece. ....Good point about the strickers not being shown or disscussed

4. Soory about the trophy room looking staged. However the pics are actually from multiple locations. Two are from PA, three from Bruce`s land and one from my land ( good looking guy on the end Ronald ).
Also agree about testamonials.

5. Currently he only mfg pot calls.

6. We are both members of the NWTF. And yes he doeshave booths at different events around NC. Good idea about posting dates though.

7. Agreed and noted

8. Your not an a$$hole :rofl: :rofl: just honest

STUMP
Last edited by stumpjumper on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:38 pm

Kepp us updated on any changes. Would be happy to re-evaluate for ya. :lol:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:36 pm

Post more trophie pics on the site. :thumbsup:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:56 am

As soon as the season is over we will be doing some updating

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:31 pm

Sounds like a plan. Maybe next year i can get one to put up there :thumbsup:

BTW Bruce must be one of the most patient guys I have ever talked to. IF you thought i asked a lot of questions, i have pestered the pure crap out of him it seems. He took it all in stride and unflinchingly answered my questions.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:26 am

I told you Bruce was a good person. If I call him friend then he`s good people. And as I said before, Bruce and I can talk turkey forever. Not only do we enjoy it but we also enjoy helping people out when they are having problems or are just beginning. Fell free to ask away!!!!

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Upland Game