Duck Hunting Forum banner

Squirrel Guns

2K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  ajmorell 
#1 ·
Alright, I know for a lot of you, this will just be a description of your first gun, but what is everyone's favorite squirrel gun?

Personally, I frequently use a 12 gauge 870 express, but I prefer to use a .22 WMR fired from a savage 24 (.22 WMR over/20 gauge under). This gun has seen better days and I am thinking about retiring it, so I need some suggestions on replacements. I have considered the .17, but don't know if I can consistently make the head shots needed. Anyway, thanks for the input.

Merry Christmas* everyone (*disclaimer --- this seasonal greeting is sent regardless of religious affiliation, however, for those of you who celebrate something other than Christmas, feel free to add an additional, personally appropriate greeting to the one listed above for yourself.)

#2 ·
well, i use a .22 LR for squirrel hunting. i have 3-.22's that i shoot. i have a browning lever action, a 10/22 ruger, and a marlin .22. they all work fine. the marlin is the most suseptable to jamming though. i dont shoot the browning a whole lot because i dont want to scratch it all up. its just a beautiful gun. :toofunny:

so id have to say my favorite squirrel gun is the ruger. i like the fact that it takes magazines instead of being tube fed. i can have several mags loaded up. when i run out, i just pop it our and grab another. that way im not carrying allot of loose ammo like you have to with the "tube" style guns....i have it topped with a 3x9x40 nikon prostaff scope. that really helps ya zero in on the head. ecspecially when theyre way up in the top of those oaks(ecspecially in the early season).

merry christmas to you and yours

#3 ·
Well, I just got a Marlin Model 60 semi-auto tube fed .22lr. I plan on putting a 4x32 Bushnell rimfire scope on it (personally, I like the Nikons and some of the other pricier scopes, but I can't justify spending more on the scope than the gun). Louisiana just added a late spring squirrel season in May. If I don't get to go between now and the end of February for the regular season, I will post a report after the spring season. Wish me luck.

In response to the previous post, I have been researching the jamming issue with the Marlins and most people find that it is a result of the packing lube the gun is shipped in. Also, these guns do not tolerate moderate to high levels of oil at all. I cleaned the ever living hell out of the gun the day I got it and lubed it very sparingly. Hopefully this will help. I will keep you updated.

Ben

#8 ·
I am onna agree with that......

Although, the way we grow em down in Texas....I might think about a .223

Heck, I gotta use a 25/06 for them stinkin swamp rabits...so if it were me I might go .223 and 12ga.

But, as everyone knows, everything is bigger in Texas :mrgreen:

-J

#12 ·
Marlin .22 bolt. Bedded barrel, trigger job, remington cyclone shells.
Head shots out to 50 yards all day long.
What do you do with them after?

#14 ·
I know alot of people are suggesting rifles and I was one of them ten years ago. But the friend that got me into deer hunting, his father was arrested for accidently shooting the neighbor. They live on a little over 100 arces and their nieghbor was on his porch. He ended up with a 22 bullet in his leg right above the knee. Now all I use is a 12 gauge. it gives me practice at shooting moving objects (i'm alway practicing to get those ducks). Its no fun sniping them out of trees, you gotta make them run first. So I would suggest get something you know won't reach the closest house. Better safe than sorry.

So my gun would be a benelli m2.

#17 ·
either my model 67a single shot winchester, my semi ruger 22, or either of my 870s 12 or 20ga. and my favorite H&R 410 topper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.