later season pheasants

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

later season pheasants

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:57 pm

well, im headed out pheasant hunting tomorrow morning. gonna give my brit one last trip before the seasons over. cant wait. if its anything like the last trip we wont get to hunt too long...plus, i got a new digital camera to try out, so we gotta kill some birds. :toofunny:

stay tuned, a story and hopefully some pics to come....
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:53 pm

well, it was a pretty good day. we didnt limit, but, it was still a great day afield. and got the dogs some work. we ended up with 3 roosters. we saw 8 roosters in all and at least that many hens. the dogs were a little green in the first field and flushed 3 roosters on us. after that they got to business. all pointing from there on out. had all three locked up solid on the same bird. wish i would have had the camera then. the rest of the roosters that we didnt kill, ran out the end of the field ahead of the dogs. we didnt have enough guys to block, but oh well. going in the morning again.

heres a couple pics form today

MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:36 am

Nice pics A-Bomb! :thumbsup:

Late season roosters are about as crafty as you can get!

:salude:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:29 pm

good lookin' birds.

Hey, do you know if that other guy you hunted with likes that dog vest? I was thinking about picking one up for my dog.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:14 pm

thanks guys, that sure was fun seeing the dogs work. getting a few birds was a nice bonus....i gotta agree though, those roosters sure are beautiful. :yes:

dan,
LOL...yeah, that "other guy" is my dad with my brittany.....so, to answer your question, i like the vest. it does a couple things, it keeps her warm(since shes and inside dog), makes her visible, and keeps a TON of burrs off. great product, that vest is a 5MM neopreme cabelas dog vest. Abby doesnt mind it one bit. she gets all fired up when i get it out. :getdown: it was a bit long, so i just trimmed it off so it fit her for length...i also have a light weight one that i put on her when its warm out.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:34 am

Nothing like hunting late season roosters. Went all weekend saw around 300 pheasants total limited both days. One reason I love living in SD don't really have to worry about not seeing pheasants. Plus with the snow we got they hold real tight and are bunched up.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:34 pm

A-Bomb wrote:thanks guys, that sure was fun seeing the dogs work.
LOL...yeah, that "other guy" is my dad with my brittany.....so, to answer your question, i like the vest. it does a couple things, it keeps her warm(since shes and inside dog), makes her visible, and keeps a TON of burrs off. great product, that vest is a 5MM neopreme cabelas dog vest. Abby doesnt mind it one bit. she gets all fired up when i get it out. :getdown: it was a bit long, so i just trimmed it off so it fit her for length...i also have a light weight one that i put on her when its warm out.

haha, I figured it was your dad, but I didn't wanna come and say just in case it wasn't. I think I may to pick one up, my dog is a spoiled inside dog, and he get full of burrs sometimes.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:54 pm

dan,
if you decide to purchase one you wont regret it. nothing worse than pulling all the burrs out, even with the hair conditioner trick.

sdgr8wthnter,
first off, you lucky dog living in such a great upland state. :salude: dad and i have been talking about making the trip out there. when does you season close?

...and second, cant beat hunting them roosters in the snow. they sit REAL tight, just like you said. i always like hunting in the snow, but it didnt happen this year. the winter has been very mild again. hell, we dont have any ice to go fishing on now that bird seasons over. :pissed: ...but, the upside....its good for the birds. :thumbsup:

take care...have fun huntin'
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:58 am

A bomb, Your right I do live in a great upland state, depends on where your at you can shoot pretty much any upland bird there is. Our season closes Jan. 7th this year. I think it will probably be the same for next year as well. I would recomend coming out. Its great, most people come for opener, which is always a great time, but I would recomend coming later in year. When you get an oos liscence its for 2 7 day periods. So I would come out for opener and if you can come out again try for Dec. or Jan. When we have snow.
It has been a pretty mild winter here as well. We had a few days in the begining of Dec where it was in the -30 range so we have about 10 to 12 inch of ice. And we got a little snow from this last storm that came through, but it is suppose to melt by this weekend. Hope it sticks around though, its real nice shooting roosters at the 10yrd range instead of 30 or 40yrd range.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby gunner7848 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:48 am

Nice birds a bomb michigan is a tough state to get in to birds we went out a few times and got a few but it was hard this year of all the rain but my shorthair did great this year friends couldnt shot worth a sh-- but that means the birds will be there next year the best we seen over dozen hens and 8 rooster but with 4 guys so my dog got on point by them and kick the bird up and missed also the birds were running flushing earliy but i end up with a good day and a great rooster with 39 bars I sent that one to get mounted and to rabbits
2007 season
1 TURKEY-1-10" BEARD
WALLEYE:
BOATED-176
Me-78
GEESE-34
DUCK-58
BANDS-3
My favorite duck and goose call timber call and Michigander by David Lewis
gunner7848
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:15 am

hey gunner,
nice job. hey, the dog did her job, the rest is up to us. its always a bummer to miss, but its not bad having some for seed either. so far the winter has been pretty good to em. but, now i hope this snow and cold blast dont put the kibash on things and raise the winter mortality. things are finally coming around in michigan for the ringneck pheasant, but its definitely taken long enough. i think people are finally opening their eyes and understanding what it takes to have a good population of pheasants on their farm. with that many birds on your farm this year, can you imagine next year if their mortality isnt too bad?...itll be even better.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Upland Game