Dove decoys?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Dove decoys?

Postby DuckSlayer6931 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:17 pm

So I've been doing a little dove hunting lately. Just got back a couple hours ago actually. And while i was on basspro.com, i noticed they had dove decoys for sale that clipped on branches and fences. I guess the concept would work. I just don't hear about many people using them. Has anyone out there ever used them to hunt? If so, do they work well?
Don't squat with your spurs on.
DuckSlayer6931
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:25 pm

Yes they do, dove are social birds and will lite where others are. I've hunted over the mojo dove and put deks on fence rows and hunted under trees with deks in'm.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:52 am

6931, I wouldn`t dove hunt without decoys. Here`s what I do. Cut off that pretty little clip under them first off. Next get out the fishing poles and tie those decoys to some good 10 pound test. If you have a power line on your property I would suggest using it for the decoys, if not locate a tree they like to go to. Cast your decoy over the power line or branch of your choice. Reel it up so that the decoy is against the power line or branch standind erect. Simply lay the pole down and enjoy the hunt. To remove the decoy just hit the release button and let it down. Don`t try to pull the decoy over the branch or power line. It will wrap up and you`ll lose your decoy. Good Luck

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby thaner » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:41 am

I never did in the past, but last year I got 4-clip on's and a mojo. I made up a little portable pole with a cross bar system and mounted birds on the cross bar and the mojo up higher. I got tired of people coming out in the area we hunt with decoys and pulling most of the birds. I have seen people set up decoys on the other side of a tree line from me and watched just about every bird in the area zero right in on them. This year we were set up and so were several other groups in the area. I didn't see where we got a lot more birds with the decoys, but with the competition i think it made it so we got our share.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:53 pm

i love em got the mojo and about 12 dekes i put em on sunflower stalks
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:39 am

I have a single mojo dove I use, and that thing works great, I've doves try and land right next to the thing.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby duck huntin mamou » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:52 pm

we hve a mojo dove that we use for doves and ducks works wonders on both
duck huntin mamou
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:12 am

i had a dove knock itself out on my mojo can in hit it and went right to the gound i walked over and picked it up took it back to the pile of out doves and about 5 mins later the little S*&^ flew away.
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Quackattaq » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:52 am

thats' awesome!!

I had one hit my mojo duck this year, it was comin in for the mojo dove I think, and didn't see the duck around the bend...all we heard was SMACK....splash....

"what was that?"
"I dunno"
"what's under the nojo man?"
"I think it is a dove"
"oh crap it was a dove it just flew away"
"no worries, there not in season anyway"

-J

getthe decoys, they work great :thumbsup:
skyblastin is for wussies! Wait till you can look em in the eye!
Quackattaq
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Upland Game