Pheasant Spurs!!

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Pheasant Spurs!!

Postby Stubby_319 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:19 am

I shot a rooster with 5/8" spurs and i was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on how old that bird is, i also shot one with a spur that was less than 1/4" i can almost guarantee that one was a yearling cause i shot once and it flew in a tree and the longest tail feather was 11". The 5/8" spur is the biggest spur my dad said he has ever seen (He hunted in SD for 25years and now we are in central MN) the biggest tail feather was 24" and that was the biggest tail feather i had ever seen also i was just wondering if anyone could tell me about how old that bird was.
If you are not sure, don't shoot. Stay safe my friends.
Stubby_319
hunter

Re: Pheasant Spurs!!

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:58 am

I have had young birds with pretty long spurs and it takes a real pro to accurately guesstimate true age in # of days the bird has lived. I use the grab them by the beak method of guesstimating yung or old. If the beak held between the thumb and fore finger bends or breaks when you hold the bird up it is a young bird of the year.
True aging of a bird is tough.
Force Fetch
hunter

Re: Pheasant Spurs!!

Postby apexhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:26 pm

We managed to jump 1 rooster while on a week long waterfowl/upland hunt in Kansas a couple weeks ago and it was a huge old bird. The spurs approached 3/4" and the tail feathers were around 18". I asked the guide if spur length was an indication of the age and he said to a small extent it is but they mostly go by the overall size of the bird, the size of the beak the length of the tail feathers and the length & mass of the spurs. He said it is like trying to age a gobbler where you look at the beard length, spur length and overall size of the bird to fathom a decent guess.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Upland Game