Tournament Hunting

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Tournament Hunting

Postby gundog_15 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:05 pm

I am a tournament hunter just wondering if there is any other tournament hunters out there, or if your not why are you not.
gundog_15
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:16 pm

can you explain this whole tournament hunting to me? ive seen it on tv, its just planted birds, and what you compete to see who can kill more birds faster or something? sounds pretty fun, do you do all tournament hunting in illinois?
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:48 am

I'm no tourney hunter but what i've gather from TV is you have 15 minutes to get 6 birds, but theres varibles to it. The dog must point and hunter flush and hunter shoots, dog retreives to hunter. Dog can not catch the bird of its a 5 minute penalty, if hunter shoots more than once it a 2 minute penalty, if hunter runs or moves more than one step after bird is killed there a penalty. Theres probably more but thats what i've seen. I no there were some tourney in Wisconsin last night.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gundog_15 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:31 pm

La Redneck has it about right, that is what we do, it is a blast to have to go out and do this, you have some who take it to far and get upset, but that is why this is a game, I do some of the ones in illinois, we hold one in beason which is outside of lincoln every year, if you would want to come down and watch, we hold the St. Jude sunny Slope Classic, all the money from this trial goes to st. jude childrens research hospital, but this game has alot of variables and your dog must be trained.
gundog_15
hunter

Postby gundog_15 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:40 pm

If anyone has any questions let me know
Team Bullseye Quality GSP's
gundog_15
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:06 am

Yea that must be trained part is right, I know it not the same at every comp. but on TV your dealing with some TOP of the line dogs. :eek:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gundog_15 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:13 pm

Usually at the bigger tournaments such as the majors and super majors, that is where the big boys come to play, we still end up doing good though, but there is alot of things that can happen in the field, we won the 2006 Tournament hunter nationals and my dad has won many nationals but people still have crapt to say about our dogs. Also there are people out there who think you buy a dog from us and the dog trains itself, just some people dont realize what this really consist of.
gundog_15
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:22 pm

I've watched the tournament hunts on TV and it misses the whole point of hunting. I'm not a fan, kind of like bass fishing tournaments. :thumbsdown:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby gundog_15 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:29 pm

Actually its a way to get birds in front of your dog year around to keep it sharp, anyways some people cant train a dog to do this but thats all right, Not everyone is cut out for it.
gundog_15
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:36 pm

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. My opinion of tournament hunting has nothing to do with dog training. I think a competition to see who can shoot how many birds the fastest is disrespectful to the sport and the wildlife.
harvey1b
hunter

wow ok

Postby littleriver » Sun May 27, 2007 10:41 am

Harvey,

I think you are misinterpreting what the tournament hunting programs are about. They are basically the only competitions out there that do simulate a hunting situation.

I have trained for 23 years. Run field trials for retrievers, trials for pointing dogs, Hunt tests, NAVHDA, NARA, NASTRA and these are by far the easiest to compete in for people who do not train professionally or have just started out. Also there isn't even close the politics that are involved in the other programs which makes it a much more relaxed environment.

What can possibly be disrespectful of people enjoying seeing what there dog can do up against other dogs and trainers. There are some very good dogs out there and trainers that have never done this professionally and kick a lot of pro's butts. Plus, do you have any idea how many training tips people pick up at these events? All that does is make life easier for the dogs and trainers.

This isn't a NATZI organization. They are fun for everyone and the dogs alike.

Have you actually been to one of the hunting competitions?? I will be no. Why judge what you really know nothing about?
littleriver
DHC Sponsor

Postby ncduckkiller » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:00 pm

This may be a stupid question but here goes, when you do these tournament hunts do the birds that you are shooting have to be in season and if not what stipulations do you have that makes it legal? I have seen them on TV and have always wandered this.
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:08 pm

ncduckkiller, there are licenses that must be obtained to pocess the birds, and there are licenses that are issued so that certain land can be used as "game farms". This is how is works in Missouri at least.

Can you win cash at these tournaments?

Also, littleriver, do you still run in NAVHDA events. I'm am involved in the NAVHDA, and I'm considering doing some AKC hunt tests next spring.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Joel » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:35 pm

pegions can be used year round I have racers for the GSP and when thay get over populated I start shoting th old birds
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby Ryan » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:04 pm

Truny dogs are junk dogs IMO they are not broke, have no manners their buisness is to be fast, break on the flush, and run around until it gets scent then point.

I have seen a few turnys like these and I laugh everytime I hear people refer to them as "top of the line" dogs. Give me a dog that knows where the birds are, quarters efficiantly, works cover and game with other dogs and to the handler thats a real hunting dog.

Heck I would rather compete in trials then turnys atleast in trials the dog have some manners and are broke. You want to see a real hunting dog hunt over a NAVHDA UT1 or VC, a DK with a KS title, or even a FC dog. Those are real hunting dogs not these turny dogs.
Ryan
Three Rules of Hunting Birds Over a Dog
1. Don't shoot the dog
2. Don't shoot the dog's owner
3. If you break Rule 1 hurry and break Rule 2
Ryan
hunter

Postby gundog_15 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:32 pm

Um no some of the dogs you see do not do that but there are the ones that do everything right, and by the way we have done very well in the tournaments and our dogs handle and are broke to wing and shot, usually people have something to say negative about it they can not be competive. Thanks
gundog_15
hunter

Postby Ryan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:44 pm

LOL ok can my dog win? Probally on a givin day. Is he bred for it? Heck no because like I said IMO them dogs are "junk" who hunts birds as fast as they anyway? I always thought bird hunting was meant to be spending time out with your dog? Besides do you really want to brag about a dog that can hunt pen birds the fastest?
Ryan
1. Don't shoot the dog
Ryan
hunter

Postby gundog_15 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:18 am

Anybody can say that they can come and win but actually winning is another thing. This is another way of extending the bird hunting season, but if you think you can win more power to you because there is alot to think about then what you think. Like how are you going to hunt a field? What way is the wind blowing? You also have to have a dog that is trained to be able to keep them in the field but if you think it is this easy I can give you some dates where some are going to be held and we will see how you do. Where in the world are you going to trap 1000 wild birds for a tournament. I can produce birds that you could not tell me they are pen raised, thank you
gundog_15
hunter

Postby Ryan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:02 am

Gun Dog any dog has a chance to win on any given day. What I dont see the point to this tournament hunting is when do you ever go out and hunt as fast as you can? Simply AKC field tests that have been sped up.

And my point about the pen birds is that they are not wild birds. Anyone can brag they have had thousand birds ran through their dog when they are pen raised, come back and talk to me when you have 1000 WILD birds ran through your dog. Then and only then will you have a dog to brag about until then I really dont care.
Ryan
1. Don't shoot the dog
Ryan
hunter

Postby Grouse » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:53 am

I agree with ryan 100% great point lets see if those dogs can work adler thicks and find turn and flush arunning grouse.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby gundog_15 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:49 pm

You guys dont have a clue, but then again from where your dog is the view NEVER changes. If you cant run with the big dogs then stay on the porch. Those tournament dogs see more wild birds than you ever thought about. There are some just like in ANY type circuit that are not that great but the ones that win day in and day out are excellent hunting dogs. Control is the name of the game and you dont get that without putting in the time. Yes is may be a sped up hunt test, BUT why go to something where everyone wins. One winner- TOP DOG. Just bring your dog , your gun, and oh yea, your checkbook. We are talking about the same dogs, just a different application. I would encourage you to give it a try before you pass judgement, EVERYBODY thinks they own the BEST dog but only a few of us really do!
gundog_15
hunter

Postby Grouse » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:14 am

And hunting,dog ownership,and the outdoors have nothing to do with "top dog whos best". Thats what football is for and fyi pen raised pheasents are not wild.. just my .02 thnks :thumbsup:
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.
Grouse
hunter

Postby gundog_15 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:55 am

You are exactly right, Tournament Hunting is a game, just like all the other field trials that are available. It has evolved kind of like cable TV for lack of a better example. There is something there for everybody. And you are right pen raised birds are NOT wild, they are raised for one reason and one reason only. The point is those tournament dogs are the same dogs you see at the AKC, NAVHDA, etc. It is just a different application and the dogs/competitors that do well are the ones that put in the time with their dogs. Example, long hours during the season hunting wild birds, trips to South Dakota and so on. Many of those dogs see as many wild birds as they do pen raised, bottom line is it is a way to spend more time in the field with your dog enjoying the great outdoors and working your dog. It makes a three month season eight months long....
gundog_15
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:44 am

Gundog, I can see where it could be fun and enjoyable. If they had them anywhere in the South, I would probably take one of my Boykins and train them just for that. I know there are quite a few Boykins that are very competitive in the tournament circuit.
But you stated that it is a good way to put birds in front of your dog and keep them sharp in the off season. For me, this would not work. I train my dogs to sit to flush and shot. From what I have watched on TV and friends in the Boykin world that do the tournaments that I have talked to, sitting to flush and shot is too much lost time and you would not be very competitive at all. They tell me that the dog needs to be halfway to the bird by the time it is shot and that is exactly what I see on TV.
The way I hunt, if a dog chases after a bird on the flush, and that bird is missed, not only does he risk flushing up other birds while chasing that one lone bird, but he failed to mark the bird or birds that did get shot. But that is just how I hunt.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby BAYOU_BOY » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:24 pm

We Have more of a POOR MAN hunting tournament......We have been doing it for 4 years now.......5 of us all put $100 in a pot.....we have 5 squreill hunting spots.......we pick out 5 Morning before squerill season starts and then we draw numbers to see who gets which spot on which days........we hunt these spots on then days no matter the wind or the weather(unless its just flooding) and after we all have hunted each spot.....who ever has the most squerills gets the money.......5 hour hunts or until you get the limit......I won the first year but not since.....i am in 3rd place this year still 2 hunts to go nov. 24 and dec 15.......But we had to pledge who ever wins the money has to buy a new gun with it
Tracy Chelette
BAYOU_BOY
hunter

Next

Return to Upland Game