1st Turkey Hunt, do I need a turkey choke?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

1st Turkey Hunt, do I need a turkey choke?

Postby Ufly-Udie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:10 pm

Heading out for the first time in a few weeks. Curious if I need to buy a turkey choke. Probably take out the Browning Gold 3.5 camo. Will full choke do it or do I need to buy a turkey choke? In NE, we can use 2-7.5 shot. Sounds like no more than 40 yd shot for clean kill.
Ufly-Udie
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:04 pm

no you don't need a new one full is more than enough.... i have been lazy on not changed out mine from a mod. and been fine. just don't think they are worth the money...

and i have found a mod. with 3.5 steel 2 ... bad ace .... steel gets into all of those feathers better i think... what i have been using for them turkeys for the past 2 years now and never had one run off...

but i am a pretty stright forward and simple hunter when it comes to turkeys as they are about the easy think to hunt IMO.
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:22 am

Just my twist :huh: I see 'the turkey chokes, all "special"chokes for that matter as a manufacturers dream come ture. Just another way to get into our pockets. :thumbsdown: Your gun will kill turkeys just as well as any gun on the market. Just pattern your gun with a varity of shells and find out which one shoots the best , at about 40 yrds. I use # fives but have also killed turkeys with # 4s as well as # 6s. :hammer: As I said it's just my twist but "the choke tudes" are designed to shoot tight groups at long distances. It's all about HOW CLOSE you can get the turkey, not how far out you can take a shot at him. :wink:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Benson » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:03 pm

i agree with cut-em i patterened my gun with a stock full choke tube and got every pellet in the circle at 40 yards with 9 in the head and neck and with a after market choke tube i got about 90 pecent of the pelets in the circle and 9 in the head and neck so really no difference
Benson
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:25 pm

Ill be using a modified with 3" #5 in my 835
muddydog
hunter

Postby choclab » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:17 am

I'll be using an arrow....lol
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Lee Pete » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:32 am

9 pellets in the head/neck at 40yards with a turkey choke is sad. Here's a Rem 870 with win 2oz xtended shot #6 at 40 yards Image
Lee Pete
hunter

Postby Ufly-Udie » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:35 am

Nice. I may have to try some of that shot. I nned to pattern it next weekend.
Ufly-Udie
hunter

9 pellets is plenty!

Postby mattkeenan » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:05 pm

9 pellets in the head/neck is more than enough... especially if it is larger shot. The larger the shot size (smaller number), the less you actually need to hit to produce the same effect. However, i like to see at least 6 or 7 pellets in the vitals - with a number 4 or 4/5 mix. Of course, if you're shooting 2 ounces of number 6 - you outta be pepperin' that paper. I prefer to hedge my bet and go with a super-full, extra-full or "turkey" choke. On average, they do perform better. of course, there is no substitute for good hunting and calling him in close... but if you want everything on your side, then the turkey chokes do in fact produce better patterns (usually). And... a ported choke will cut down on recoil.
mattkeenan
hunter

Lee Pete

Postby WATERFOWLER1973 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:17 pm

Lee Pete,

What choke were you using in the 870?

Thanks
WATERFOWLER1973
hunter

Postby blainedaddy » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:24 pm

I believe the extrafull choke is worth the money. I shoot an extra full in my benelli with winchester elite supreme's #5's and put 28 in the head at 50 yards 3 days ago, I can't do that with a full choke. Just my opinion.

Blaine
blainedaddy
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:59 am

Im with these other guys... I never change chokes in my gun to do something special for turkey. I don't have any problems with using my standard modified choke for em.
The life cycle of a hunter... hunt, eat, sleep if there is time, then go hunt again.

Chuck Norris doesn't go hunting, becasue hunting infers the possibility of failure. Rather, Chuck Norris goes killing.
duckplucker
hunter

Postby Ufly-Udie » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:04 pm

Well then it's setltled. I'll pattern it out with the factory full choke and go from there. Any recommendations on some reasonably priced turkey shot?
Ufly-Udie
hunter

Return to Upland Game