hunting turkey in the rain

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

hunting turkey in the rain

Postby cONG » Mon May 07, 2007 8:25 am

were do the turkey go at in the rain and how do you hunt them
cONG
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon May 07, 2007 3:11 pm

I like to hunt field edges or clearings when its raining. As crazy as that might sound, turkeys head to these areas when its raining. Im not talking about monsoons of course, but a light or steady rain. There are lots of theories on why turkeys head to the field when it rains. I dont get caught up in all that, i just know they head there, and its a great place to hunt in those conditions.

As far as how to hunt them in the rain, set up in the areas where they enter or exit the field. Use decoys and calling just like you would in any other situation.

Another tactic is to set up in those same areas without decoys or calling and let the birds come out naturally. An ambush style hunt. When calling and decoys dont get it done, this can be one of the most effective techniques...Just be patient...They will come.

Best of luck. :wink:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby cONG » Tue May 08, 2007 9:32 am

i think i might have to get wet
cONG
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu May 10, 2007 6:31 pm

Hey cONG,
It rained yesterday, so i couldnt work, so I headed down to my buddies house to get the camper.(where i turkey hunted) Let me tell ya, the turkeys were out in force. Its an hour ride and i seen turkeys the entire trip down there. When i arrived at my buddies house there were birds strutting right where i killed my Tom opening day. What a day to hunt. There something about rain that really brings em out. :wink:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu May 10, 2007 7:04 pm

A-bomb is totaly right on this one. Birds will head to fields if avalible and if there are no fields the will go to tall standing pines or areas with little underbrush. But know that if you have tall grass in the fields birds will only use the edge when it`s raining.

The reason they go to fields or open areas in the woods with little underbrush revolves around movement and moisture. The best defense that turkeys have is thier eyesight. When it rains every little leaf and twig moves, thus making them nervous. And secondly it`s about the wax on their feathers. When turkeys get wet thir feathers and the wax in them helps to repel some of the moisture. The feathers don`t soak up water like a sponge. But when the brush up against a wet object, it breaks the wax film on the feathers and they will soak up water. A wet bird has trouble flying but a bird that walks thru a field of johnson grass can`t fly until some of the water in it`s feathers dries.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cONG » Fri May 11, 2007 9:04 am

thanks a lot guys I find that very intersting about the wax i hate turkeys right now
cONG
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri May 11, 2007 11:03 am

cONG wrote: i hate turkeys right now

WHY? Are they schooling you right now?

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DuckMauler » Fri May 11, 2007 1:02 pm

i hate turkeys right now

haha i used to feel the same way, but ive stuck with it and finally gotten it figured out a little bit!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri May 11, 2007 1:24 pm

I was a little tired when I made that post. Imeant oil not wax. :huh:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Sat May 12, 2007 6:19 pm

im having one hell of a time right now they are not strutting or gobbling on the ground the hens are all gone and the boys are together dont look at decoys or calls spend there time in the middle of a big open field and when they do fly down a coyote comes and chases them off not a good season so far try it again tommarrow
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby cONG » Fri May 18, 2007 4:30 pm

i called in 2 tom and got them to dance and had one behind me thay were just to fall away form me to take the shoot i just did think i could kill one at 40 yards the gun was all the way to the left I could go the tomes got spoked and left me do you think thay well be over there agan
cONG
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri May 18, 2007 10:30 pm

Chances are youve wised them up, but, you can still kill em IMO. Turkeys are creatures of habit, so theyll return to that area again....As long as you didnt spook them too bad, you still have a chance.

You may have to have a stealthier approach though. Maybe sparse calling and no decoy, or wait em out where they travel. Give em a call every half hour or so. Keep your eyes peeled as they'll probably slip in silently. Theyll probably be cautious lookers as they approach. Tough birds to hunt, but it can be done. :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sat May 19, 2007 9:14 am

Illinois, if your birds are not responsive and they are going straight to the center of the field, I think you should build a good blind or use a pop-up. Place that sucker right in the center of that field. If the toms are flocking up only put out jake deeks. O you can place feeding hen deeks. As for calling ONLY use content purrs and cluks. If you use the jake deeks and the birds still won`t come in get aggressive and do fighting purrs to get them curious. As A-Bomb said. It can be done.

cong... Yes they will return however I would recommend you at least moving around 50 yards away from the same spot. Make them feel that you to are a turkey and don`t always call from the same spot especially if you bumped them already. To many times birds wise up to being called from the same spot.

Best of luck fellers!!!!

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cONG » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:31 am

thoght you might want to know i never did kill a turkey this year just a lot of ticks
cONG
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:54 pm

Sorry to hear that buddy. But you`ll be even better next year. That`s a plus!!!

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Whether you get one or not, take what youve learned and apply it next season. :thumbsup: ..Then you'll do the schoolin instead of them! :yes:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Upland Game