5 hunters equals four birds

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

5 hunters equals four birds

Postby Pete-pec » Mon May 14, 2007 12:16 pm

Well our season is just about over, and the totals are 5 hunters and 4 birds. I described my hunt already, but thought I'd share the tallies. I called for four other people, and we did pretty darned good. I took out three people who have never taken a bird, 1 kid, and two adults. All of the first-timers with exception of my father-in-law shot their first bird, and like I explained before, he had three chances (all in 15 minutes). I told the kid that if it were me, I'd probably take a jake if it came by, but he insisted on taking a tom, and with 3 days of patience (damn hens) he ended up with a very nice bird. It was a 2 year old with a 9 inch beard. The other newbie (which I work with) took a jake. The other guy that I took out was 2 for 2 on jakes the two previous years, and was only going to settle for a mature bird, and after about 30 minutes of hunting on his opener, he ended up with a limb-hanger! The bird was on the lean side (20 lbs.), but it had some awesome hooks and a paintbrush for a beard. All in all, it was a very successful season, the only thing that would have made it better, would have been to be perfect. Oh, and if the Morels were out as thick as last year. Pretty lame here, only found about 60 in total, and nothing that huge. We need rain! I guess you can't have the best of both worlds, because rain and turkeys aren't necessarily ideal, but they sure do work for shrooms!

Happy hunting everyone. Now it's time to go hit the Bluegill beds!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Upland Game