Poodles for hunting...

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Poodles for hunting...

Postby no3topqb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:56 pm

OK... so I know poodles (the bigger ones) are good for hunting, retrieving and such. But my wife is wanting to get the smaller version. Not the little 5lb purse dog but one that will get to about 15-20 lbs. My question is has ANYONE ever used one for retrieving dove? I wouldn't mind having one if I can get some use out of it...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
no3topqb
hunter

Re: Poodles for hunting...

Postby Force Fetch » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Why not. As long as you introduce it to gunfire properly and maybe force break it. I helped a friend force break one of the 5 pounders named Precious for the Obedience ring a few years ago, worked out fine.
You might want to look at one of the smaller Labradoodles they are breeding now. I snake broke a 35lb doodle that has a lot of hunt in it, just too much burr collecting hair for my taste. I almost hate to say this about a gun dog, but damn he is cute.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:31 pm

Any tips on training??? This will be a first for me...

no3topqb
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:21 pm

You have to make a couple of decisions. Will it be a non slip retriever or also used as a flushing dog or both many guys use their labs, springers, and chessies to do all three.
Then get a good training book for that discepline Gun Dog by R Wolters never ruined a hunting retriever. For the flushing part of his training get a good book on training spanials. Bill Turrant wrote one, I just can't remember the name also one by Spencer.
It sounds like a fun project.
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Prob won't be using him as a flushing dog. I've never had many opportunities for quail. Mainly just retrieving for dove. Thanks God the heads up on those books.

no3topqb
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat May 17, 2014 2:55 pm

I'd disagree with all the above. Poodles (with TINY exceptions) haven't been bred for it in a long time. And sort of mutt mix "can" make a gun dog but anytime you go outside what a dog is bred completely you significantly drop the probability of a desire able hunting dog. If you want a hunting dog, get a hunting dog. If you want one to match you're purse, get that. No in between.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Return to Upland Game