kansas quail

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

kansas quail

Postby plumbduck » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:09 pm

planning on going bird hunting in kansas this year anybody know how good hunting is around independence
WE SLEEP SAFELY IN OUR BEDS BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY IN THE NIGHT TO VISIT VIOLENCE ON THOSE WHO WOULD HARM US

WHEN IN DOUBT EMPTY THE MAGAZINE
plumbduck
hunter

Postby cONG » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:42 pm

i live about 30 mins away form independence in longton but anyways its cool to see some one thats close buy what kind of bird hunting duck,quail,dove,geese what kind of bird are trying to hunt
cONG
hunter

Postby ksgooser » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:13 pm

I havent seen hardly any quail this year. We had a lot of rain and all the fields that i hunt out in western kansas were literally in a couple feet of water. We have seen a few pheasants but no quail. From what the farmer told me, all the nests where flooded and none hatched but he also said that the pheasants had a second hatch but isnt sure about the quail.
Cale Renollet
ksgooser
hunter

Postby plumbduck » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:06 pm

cong i dont live in kansas but my parents grew up there and me and my dad are going to hunt opening weekend how is the hunting around independence and neodasha
WE SLEEP SAFELY IN OUR BEDS BECAUSE ROUGH MEN STAND READY IN THE NIGHT TO VISIT VIOLENCE ON THOSE WHO WOULD HARM US

plumbduck
hunter

Postby cONG » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:50 am

I don't hunt over there, I hunt in elk city and longton , it very hard to find quail around hear they sude be in the endangered species the onley way to have a good quail hunt is to bring in your own quail good luck
cONG
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:50 pm

Record low. I have seen less quail this year then ever before. Hope you like to walk.

You are gonna have to go alot furter west to find pheasants. (200 miles or more)

Neodesha was under 12 ft or water at one time if that tells you how bad our floods were.

Straight from the website for

Region 5 - Southeast Kansas
Upland bird hunting in Region 5 will be extremely difficult this fall. This region was affected by two different winter events that had negative impacts on gamebird survival. However, the greatest impact to gamebirds was the heavy rain and flooding that occurred in late June and early July. There were areas in Region 5 that received more then 20 inches of rain in less than two days. The flooding occurred at the peak time when quail were hatching and prairie chickens were rearing their young. As a result of low breeding numbers and near reproductive failure, the number of gamebirds available this fall in Region 5 will be at all-time lows.

Pheasant – Most of Region 5 is outside of the pheasant range. There are a few areas in the western and northwestern counties where pheasants persist at very low densities.

Quail – As a result of low breeding numbers and near reproductive failure, the quail population across most of Region 5 will be at an all-time low this fall. Some areas in the far northwestern portion of the region weren’t affected by the winter storms and received much less rain last June. Quail numbers in that area will probably be similar to last fall.

Prairie Chickens – Greater prairie chickens are most abundant in the western and northwestern counties of the region. Spring counts were generally similar to last year in the northernmost counties and somewhat less than last year farther south in the region. Good nesting cover and favorable weather in the northwestern portions of Region 5 should result in similar or slightly more prairie chickens than last year. Prairie chicken numbers farther south in the southern Flint Hills will be much lower than last fall as a result of low spring breeding numbers, poor nesting cover, and heavy rainfall during the brood rearing period.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby plumbduck » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:38 pm

not good news but thanks for the replys maybe ill just stay home and deer hunt

plumbduck
hunter

Return to Upland Game