**flaging for doves **

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

**flaging for doves **

Postby wingshooter2009 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:45 pm

can u do this and have it actually work? also are there any kind of home made decoys for dove? :huh:
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby ncduckkiller » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:25 pm

I know that the slightest movement will flare doves if you are in a field hunting them so I would think that even though I have never done this, flagging for them is going to flare them more often than bringing them in. Maybe if you had a mojo dove and the birds was way off in the distance flagging might get there attention but I just don't see it working. Maybe someone on here has done it before.
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:35 pm

i just went out and made a dozen dove decoys to put up on a high "T" stake like the one that cabelas has! i made em by taking paper plates and rolling them up to form the basic shape of a dove and tape them around to stay in the fixed position. Next i used primer grey spray paint to put on a base color. After that i lightly sprayed on some black paint and dabed at it with a rag to give it some texture. and finnaly for the body, i got a few grey chicken feathers and glued them to the "wing" of the decoy to give it some realism.

for the head, i took a ping-pong ball and painted it in the primer grey, and took a sharpee for the eyes. for the beak, i cut out a 'beak" from a piece of cardboard, painted it black, and glued it to the front of the ping-pong ball. after i finished the head, i then glued that to the body of the dove in any realistic position on the "head area" of the dove.

im taking it out tomarow to see if it works....wish me luck!! :thumbsup:
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; Genisus 27:3

"Duck Hunting Is like a Box of Chocolates... You Never Know What You're Gonna Get!"
wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby uxoman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:59 pm

Seems like a lot of work for a few decoys. Why don't you just pay $1.88 at walmart and get them already painted and they even come with a clip for trees or what ever you want. Not to mention they are plastic and can be thrown into a bag and not crushed.

Has anyone tried the T tree with decoy method? If so, what do you think?
ROB

"Initial Success or Total Failure"

US Army Bomb Disposal
uxoman
hunter

Postby mojo coot » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:41 pm

:rofl: :rofl: i think i would of just got them from walmart that sounds like to much work for me
mojo coot
hunter

Postby wingshooter2009 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:24 am

lol maby so... :biggrin: itll be cool if they work though!! :lol:

wingshooter2009
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:20 am

yesterday i shot 15 in 20 minutes with a 50 dollar spread. all i used was a mojo dove and 6 feather flex decoys. put 3 or 4 doves in a circle around the base of the mojo and a few on nearby trees and such i hunt a sunflower field so i put a few on top of the sunflower and the birds were sucking in to my spot never shot past 15 yards.
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:52 pm

I used about a dozen decoys on the ground in a wheat field on saturday and the doves wouldn't leave me alone :lol: , swarming all around me and most shots were about 15 yards. :yes:
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to Upland Game