Duck Hunting Forum banner

too much gun?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  micneador 
#1 ·
I am looking for a new gun for primarily dove, quail and squirrel. I found a nice deal on a 12gauge 2 3/4" only, but is that too much load for dove and quail?

#3 ·
A super nice gun to do what you want is a Remington Model 1100 20 gauge LT, You can usually find them at gun shows or on gunbroker.com and gunsinternational.com, My son just bought one off of gunbroker in super nice shape for 600, probably hasn't had 4 boxes of shells thru it

#4 ·
quack, why would you think it is too much gun? With the # of loads you can buy and many more you can reload for a 12 ga, it is the most versitile ga out there. Unless you like to have a lot of guns hanging around, I do, one good old 12ga will probably do it all from deer with buckshot to doves with 1 oz of 8's.

#5 ·
I just looked at the weight and that's what threw me off the 12, way too heavy.

I think I'm looking at. 20gauge now to keep weight down.
What about gauges, do you need a 3" or is 2 3/4" enough?
Also any recommendation on IC or Mod, seems like most older guns are fixed. What's the best choice for overall dove,quail,squirrelly hunting? I only want this gun for this type hunting.

#6 ·
If you're lookin at just a small game gun, a light 28 would be the ticket.
Ithica 37's in 28 are a dream to shoot.

As for chokes, quail don't need anything tighter than IC, unless you're talking scaled quail.
Dove and squirrel can need up to modified at times, but nothing much tighter.

#7 ·
I too would suggest a 28 gauge. I love my 12 but if I was to buy a gun just for dove, quail and squirrel, it'd be a 28. I've shot 28's a whole lot more than any other gauge because they've always shot great. But you can't go wrong with a good shooting 20 either. And too answer your first question, no a 12 is not too much gun

#9 ·
quack-quack said:
Why a 28g and not a 16g ?
Speaking from experience myself, but my buddy has an a-5 in 16. I'm not a fan of the long gas guns, but DANG that gun shoots sweet.
Plus 28's tend to be lighter as most are based on their own reciever instead of a 28 in a 20ga. size reciever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.