Turkey hunter?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Turkey hunter?

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:51 pm

Do you turkey hunt? What kind of turkeys do you hunt? Do you have to draw a permit to hunt? Can you shoot hens? What types of calls do you use? What's your favorite call? What gun and ammo do you use? What's your season dates? I know the season is fast approaching, and with duck season behind us, let's talk about the other winged game out there.

We hunt Easterns here in Wisconsin, the Wild Turkey was re-introduced to Wisconsin in the late 70's to the early 80's, and is now as plentiful as the deer we have. We have to apply for the spring and fall seasons with a 3$ application fee, listing our season preferences of which we would most like. We can shoot hens in the fall, but not in the spring. There is a month long season in the fall, usually the entire month of October. There are six 5 day seasons in the spring starting in early April ending in mid-May. I like using the Barred Owl call as my locator call, or my Alluminator slate call. I like to use a mouth diaphragm call to "close the deal". I use my 10 gauge with a 36 inch barrel, and shoot 3 1/2 inch 2 1/4 ounce Winchester loads. I'm not one of those guys who brags about taking those long distance shots, because I prefer to take those heart pounding in your face shots, but with the 36 inch barrel with a super full choke, I can pretty-much plant 50 % of the load where it counts! let's here about your hunts etc. Here comes the bragging, :laughing: took a 25 pound tom last year, and yes, I mounted it flying, even though I shot it at ten paces. Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:48 pm

I turkey hunt, I am not sure what kind of turkeys are here, but I hunt them. Those 3 1/2's aren't that big compared to my 3 2oz's. Those work really good out trap hunting. We have to draw a tag to hunt them, it depends on what county we are in to hunt them to shoot a tag.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:21 pm

Turkeys are probably one of the coolest things to hunt in my opinion. I dno't think it gets much better than hearing the woods rattle when a bird comes in gobblin. Then it blows up and starts struttin when it gets sight of your decoy. I can't wait.

I hunt easterns in missouri. I do some hunting in Defiance, MO and some in Northeast MO in Lewis County. I have counted flocks of up to 100 birds up north. Tons of birds in northeast mo, but I have been lucky enough to take 2 birds in defiance in the past three years.
For calls I use diaphragms and slates. Pete I do just the opposite of you. I use my diaphragm for my louder work to work the bird in. Then I switch to my slate, because I can purr alot better with it and it's quieter.

Shoot an 870 12 gauge, 3 inch shells, 4 shot.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:51 pm

Turkey hunting is the best! I absolutely can't wait. Opening day is March 26, so I only have a couple more weeks. It stays in until May 15. I hunt with the same gun i duck hunt with, a Browning Gold Hunter, but I use an extra full choke and 3" #5's. I also like to get'em in close. The heck with any shots over 35yds. This year I think I might try to get one with my bow. I'm definitely going to get one with my gun before I try, though. I usually use an "ole yeller" slate call and a diaphragm. My favorite is a Knight and Hale youth call. You can make anything from the softest tree yelps to good ol' pissed off cutting. I have gotten at least one gobbler a year since I killed my first one when I was 15, that was 11 seasons ago. I'm going to start listening this week. Hopefully they will be getting fired up. :thumbsup:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:03 pm

I think that turkey hunting is some of the best hunting also. I hunt in the Kansas City area and there are alot of birds here. We can only take the males in the spring and two is the limit. I use friction calls mainly but sometimes i might use a diaphram. I use a 870 with a super full choke shooting 3 1/2" #6 shot (It gets the job done for sure). I dont use decoys where I hunt because they do more harm than good around here. The birds I hunt are very weary of decoys and usually wont come close enough to them. And the only thing you will shoot around here are Easterns.
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:04 pm

Turkey ranks right up there with Elk! Our season doesn't really get good til the end of April, first part of May. I use my Mossberg 835 ultimag with Winchester 3" copper plated 6's. Haven't had to take a second shot yet!

dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby dukhnter7 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:07 pm

Got my daughter hooked on it a couple of years ago. Now that she has her own gun, she wants to give it a try. :salude:

dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby big_countryks » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:21 am

Taking my 9 year old nephew for the first time here in April. We've already done some scouting and have some written permission for a couple spots (helps to have a 9 year old along when knocking on doors!!). Where we live there are Easterns, Rio's and Hybrids. Like to kill 'em with a Mossberg 835 using 3.5 in. #6 shot. Decoys are handy in farm country to get him in close.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:33 am

i havent turkey hunted in awhile but i am going to this spring. went a few years ago never got one. my uncle has a ranch now and he says the best way to get them is to scout there patterns then ambush them. we cant shoot hens. we just buy a tag.i think you can get one for spring and fall now. i am not sure which species is here in idaho.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby terryg » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:58 am

3 toms in the spring and 1 or either sex in the fall. rio grande and some hybreds. nothing needed but upland stamp.

i have everycall ever made and then some :toofunny:

problem is it is not too hard to hunt them anymore so not much of a challenge but i do take out soem jr's and folks that never had the opportunities i have. last one i got was a catch and release. i caught a jake with my hands last spring. :thumbsup:

terryg
hunter

Postby gahunter » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:23 pm

Not much of a challenge, huh? You should try tangling with some of our resident Easten's. They don't gobble a whole lot and are smarter than most people I know. I had to chase down a bird I wounded one year. My dad got the whole thing on tape, it is friggin hilarious. I chased that thing all through the woods and finally dove on top of it after it ran into a tree. We have unfortunately lost the tape and now everyone that hasn't seen it, thinks I'm lying. Try to get one with a bow, if you are looking for a challenge. :getdown:
gahunter
hunter

Postby brdprey » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:04 am

:pissed: i missed out again this year...........i keep putin in but not getting my permit...........i hate this draw crap..............i have 7 points now.......by the time i draw ill be to feakin old...............
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:04 pm

Hey guys, I've never turkey hunted before but have been seeing quite a few of them around and want to try it. I was wondering if you could give me some insight on how it all goes about and any tricks or things you do for hunting them. Thanks

-Joe
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby gahunter » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:26 pm

It would take hours if not days to talk about all the different strategies and tactics for hunting turkeys. The best advice I can give is to read everything you can about it and watch as many hunting shows as possible. It would probably be best to get started by going with someone who has turkey hunted before. The main thing is to be patient and don't get frustrated. Turkey hunting is hard and it can take hunters years to get that first bird, so don't give up. I will be happy to divulge any more info if you have some more specific questions. Turkey hunting is one thing that I have been pretty consistently successful at, if there is such a thing in the turkey woods. Good luck. :thumbsup:
gahunter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:28 pm

i am kinda a turkey hunter. i have hunted them in the past but not as religously as other game. i really enjoy it but that is the time our bass really work the beds good. i believe our birds are mainly easterns. i plan on spending a lot of time chasing them this april. i have had a couple of different heart-pounding experiences with big gobblers but have yet to bag one. hopefully this season i'll fill my tag...more than once would sure be nice! :thumbsup:
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:45 pm

Yeah, y'all have Easterns in Carolina. I'm pretty sure that there are nothing but Easterns east of the Mississippi, except Osceolas in south FL. As to the fishing dilemma, hunt early in the morning and fish after that. That's what I do. If you are fishing near where you hunt just take your turkey gear with you. Leave it in the truck and if a turkey gets fired up, put down your rod and go get'im. Good luck :yes:
gahunter
hunter

Return to Upland Game