What type of sunflower should I plant for doves?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

What type of sunflower should I plant for doves?

Postby graham8924 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Every September, my house is covered in mourning doves. And a few Eurasian doves. I killed close to thirty last year using an air rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun, and that was just when they landed on the trees around my house! I want to attract even more this season. I'm buying decoys and I have a MOJO Voodoo Dove, but I need a food source for the doves. Everybody tells me that doves love sunflowers, but I know there is a variety of types of sunflowers. I have a spot to plant a lot of sunflowers, but I don't know what kind of sunflowers to plant. Does anybody know what kind I should plant? I have no neighbors and live out of city limits, so shooting them in my yard is legal. Thanks!
graham8924
hunter

Re: What type of sunflower should I plant for doves?

Postby micneador » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:41 am

If there's lots of deer around, don't bother with sunflowers is smll plots. They will destroy em.
Millet and wheat are my favorite, and a lot easier to grow.
Just spray with weed killer 1st week of august, then burn (weather providing).
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby MarkM » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:59 am

graham8924 wrote:Every September, my house is covered in mourning doves. And a few Eurasian doves. I killed close to thirty last year using an air rifle and a 12 gauge shotgun, and that was just when they landed on the trees around my house! I want to attract even more this season. I'm buying decoys and I have a MOJO Voodoo Dove, but I need a food source for the doves. Everybody tells me that doves love sunflowers, but I know there is a variety of types of sunflowers. I have a spot to plant a lot of sunflowers, but I don't know what kind of sunflowers to plant. Does anybody know what kind I should plant? I have no neighbors and live out of city limits, so shooting them in my yard is legal. Thanks!

Shooting them in your yard may be legal, but shooting them with an air rifle is not.

Any sunflowers will attract dove, just as well as a water source or a gravel driveway with a highline wire near it.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby JRD43 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:45 am

PEREDOVIC SUNFLOWER SEEDS. THE SMALL BLACK ONES
JRD43
Newb

Return to Upland Game