Dove Decoy spread

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Dove Decoy spread

Postby muss03 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:42 am

Hello, New to the forum and dove hunting as well
We have been at it several days the last two weeks and I have a few questions. I noticed some guys place decoys in nearby trees, fences, ect. We hunted a field the other day with food sources nearby but no nearby trees to hang decoys so a friend of mine placed his decoys about one or two feet from the ground on a length of dowel and spread them out in groups of two. We also placed a mojo dove in the spread. Had a few fly in but not many. The power lines in the distance were however crowded with doves, coming and going. I dont know if the area is just over hunted by now or if placing the decoys low makes it harder for the birds to see. I thought about making a tree out of an old aluminum frog gig I have laying around. It expands to about ten feet however I wonder if the metallic shine would discourage birds from approaching. I've found I really like dove hunting, as those things are really hard to hit. Very humbling. Any suggestions are welcome
muss03
hunter

Postby YosemiteSam » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:57 pm

I have never hunted doves with decoys, but there are three things to look for when finding a good dove spot. find a spot that has three things. 1. a roosting area. 2. food. 3. and gravel they have to eat gravel to grind the seeds. i hunt on private property so its not hunted by anybody elese but me, so i dont need decoys. but i would try to find an edge of a field to put some dove decoys on the groud like they are feeding, or find a watering hole to place them. but the most important thing you can do is to stay still, if a dove is flying to you stay perfectly still and they will come right to ya. Hope it helps :smile:
YosemiteSam
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:47 pm

This time of year the most important thing to find w/ doves are their flight patterns to and from food. Generally doves (at least here in the South) will feed in the mid-late afternoon then fly to roost right at dusk.

For our Thanksgiving & Christmas hunts we find where the birds are using, set up (without decoys) and watch their flight patterns and adjust our location accordingly. If needed, we sometimes use a mojo or normal decoys as attractants but we have found that when they are going to feed there really isn't a lot of benefit w/ dekes (at least not as much need as the early season hunts). Most of our shooting is pass shooting in the late season but we generally see more, larger droves than around Labor Day so the shooting is fast & furious.
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Upland Game