Duck Hunting Forum banner

HIMALAYAN SNOW PARTRIDGE

5K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Pumpgunner 
#1 ·
Anyone ever hunted Himalayan snow partridge?

#3 ·
HI Ryan,
Nice GSP. The Nevada Dept. of wildlife established a hunt able population of Himalayan snow partridges which are commonly referred to as snow cocks in Northern Nevada. And, since I now live in Nevada it would be intrusting to hunt them. Any information on these birds would be appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
I read an article a long time ago about them. I called the NDOW and they sent me quite a bit of information on hunting them. I also come across an outfitter that would do a guided hunt. From what I understand they are pretty hard to hunt. They are at a high elevation and if you get anywhere near them the fly to the other side of the valley. I would be interested to do it someday. It seems like they would be one great trophy. I can see if I could find what I did with the info.

Rick

#6 ·
Boy talk about the esoteric...usually when I open my mouth about the snow cocks people think I'm full of crap..

Yep I hunted them....expect to pay your dues....steep rocky, high,,,hump your butt up and down the mountains for days until luck smiles on you...

Don't be sporty about this...use enough gun...they are big tough birds, and you will only get one chance...

Only place int the USA that you will find them is in the Ruby Mountains east of Elko, NV. This is also a great place to hunt grouse...Ruffled in the mountain canyon mouths, and Blues (that will fly just as hard of the Ruff's up high in the trees)...Again, lots of hiking...mostly up...

When I finally got my chance, I was shooting a 3" buffered, copper plated #2. Had a rock blind and good camo...got my shot at 25 yards and just hammered the bird. he made a left turn,,,then folded, dropped almost 3000'. The taxidermist I took the mess too just laughed at me...."garbage", was his reply. So I have a memory, but no trophy sitting on a shelf....

I still have a shoulder strap in my Citori that I put on for this hunt. Sort of brings back the memories, and the pain.

#7 ·
They are one of the hardest hunts in North America. The only place in North America to hunt these birds is here in Elko County in the Ruby Mountain Range. (Nevada)They live in 10,000 plus feet and are a big bird. The Ruby's are a hard hunt with the terrain going from up to down, to of the ridge. Mostly up ↑ there are a couple of guides in N. Ruby Valley they charge anywhere from $2,000-$3,000 dollars for a 4 day hunt. The reward is being one of very…very few hunters in the world to bag a Himalayan Snow Cock. Be in shape, and be ready to handle dry high altitude.

#8 ·

You can only hunt them in Elko and White Pine counties in Nevada, and I believe that's the only place in North America. Anyone can hunt them and the season is usually the first of Sept. to the end of Nov. The only thing you need is a free-use permit from NDOW so they can track who hunts/harvests a Snowcock. A couple of my buddies that live in Elko have killed one or two birds and from what they've said the tough part of the hunt is obviously getting to them, and being comfortable above 10,000 feet. Apparently once you're on a bird, it's a cake walk to harvest it. I personally have never hunted them so I wouldn't know but I'm thinking I might this year, depending on when my N. Dakota pheasant trip is. :thumbsup: If anyone kills one, please post pics!

#10 ·
My wife has family in Elko and I've spent a good bit of time backpacking the Rubies, and I've seen lots of sign of these birds but only seen one in person, flushing a long ways off. It really is more like a big game hunt than a bird hunt, lots of glassing and stalking and trying to find out where they are-well worth it in my book. Just go with the attitude that you're there to enjoy the country and the experience, and hunt some birds as a bonus, and you'll have a great time! They are awesome birds by the way, they are so big they look like a turkey taking off!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.