HIMALAYAN SNOW PARTRIDGE

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

HIMALAYAN SNOW PARTRIDGE

Postby pointingdogs » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:17 pm

Anyone ever hunted Himalayan snow partridge?
pointingdogs
hunter

Postby Ryan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:58 pm

Are you talking about Chukars?
Ryan
Three Rules of Hunting Birds Over a Dog
1. Don't shoot the dog
2. Don't shoot the dog's owner
3. If you break Rule 1 hurry and break Rule 2
Ryan
hunter

Postby pointingdogs » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:31 pm

HI Ryan,
Nice GSP. The Nevada Dept. of wildlife established a hunt able population of Himalayan snow partridges which are commonly referred to as snow cocks in Northern Nevada. And, since I now live in Nevada it would be intrusting to hunt them. Any information on these birds would be appreciated. Thanks.
pointingdogs
hunter

Postby redoakstar » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:21 pm

I read an article a long time ago about them. I called the NDOW and they sent me quite a bit of information on hunting them. I also come across an outfitter that would do a guided hunt. From what I understand they are pretty hard to hunt. They are at a high elevation and if you get anywhere near them the fly to the other side of the valley. I would be interested to do it someday. It seems like they would be one great trophy. I can see if I could find what I did with the info.

Rick
redoakstar
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:58 am

They are in the Ruby Mtns south of Elko ................. :thumbsup:

Stand about 18" tall or better........a big bird !! :eek:

Most hunters go for the "Mount" :yes:

Very hard to see in the snow, but they can be had.

More info c/o the Dept F&G in Reno or the net NDOW
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Old Wanderer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:51 pm

Boy talk about the esoteric...usually when I open my mouth about the snow cocks people think I'm full of crap..

Yep I hunted them....expect to pay your dues....steep rocky, high,,,hump your butt up and down the mountains for days until luck smiles on you...

Don't be sporty about this...use enough gun...they are big tough birds, and you will only get one chance...

Only place int the USA that you will find them is in the Ruby Mountains east of Elko, NV. This is also a great place to hunt grouse...Ruffled in the mountain canyon mouths, and Blues (that will fly just as hard of the Ruff's up high in the trees)...Again, lots of hiking...mostly up...

When I finally got my chance, I was shooting a 3" buffered, copper plated #2. Had a rock blind and good camo...got my shot at 25 yards and just hammered the bird. he made a left turn,,,then folded, dropped almost 3000'. The taxidermist I took the mess too just laughed at me...."garbage", was his reply. So I have a memory, but no trophy sitting on a shelf....

I still have a shoulder strap in my Citori that I put on for this hunt. Sort of brings back the memories, and the pain.
Old Wanderer
hunter

Himalayan Snow Cock

Postby ryanveater » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:15 pm

They are one of the hardest hunts in North America. The only place in North America to hunt these birds is here in Elko County in the Ruby Mountain Range. (Nevada)They live in 10,000 plus feet and are a big bird. The Ruby's are a hard hunt with the terrain going from up to down, to of the ridge. Mostly up ↑ there are a couple of guides in N. Ruby Valley they charge anywhere from $2,000-$3,000 dollars for a 4 day hunt. The reward is being one of very‚Ķvery few hunters in the world to bag a Himalayan Snow Cock. Be in shape, and be ready to handle dry high altitude.
Best Regards,

From Whistling Wings
ryanveater
Newb

Postby Ryan Hill » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:33 pm

You can only hunt them in Elko and White Pine counties in Nevada, and I believe that's the only place in North America. Anyone can hunt them and the season is usually the first of Sept. to the end of Nov. The only thing you need is a free-use permit from NDOW so they can track who hunts/harvests a Snowcock. A couple of my buddies that live in Elko have killed one or two birds and from what they've said the tough part of the hunt is obviously getting to them, and being comfortable above 10,000 feet. Apparently once you're on a bird, it's a cake walk to harvest it. I personally have never hunted them so I wouldn't know but I'm thinking I might this year, depending on when my N. Dakota pheasant trip is. :thumbsup: If anyone kills one, please post pics!
Ryan Hill
hunter

Re: HIMALAYAN SNOW PARTRIDGE

Postby Cowtown CJ » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:43 pm

I came across this a few weeks ago, has a lot of pictures and gives you a good idea what hunting these birds is like. Very much the big horn sheep hunt of upland bird hunting. Would love to give this a try one day.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=241149
Cowtown CJ
hunter

Re: HIMALAYAN SNOW PARTRIDGE

Postby Pumpgunner » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:27 am

My wife has family in Elko and I've spent a good bit of time backpacking the Rubies, and I've seen lots of sign of these birds but only seen one in person, flushing a long ways off. It really is more like a big game hunt than a bird hunt, lots of glassing and stalking and trying to find out where they are-well worth it in my book. Just go with the attitude that you're there to enjoy the country and the experience, and hunt some birds as a bonus, and you'll have a great time! They are awesome birds by the way, they are so big they look like a turkey taking off!
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Return to Upland Game