Turkey Season?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Turkey Season?

Postby greenhead1000 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:18 pm

I saw a topic of I'm through with turkeys. I was just wondering if everyone else was having the same problem with the gobblers not coming to you anymore. I remember when I first started hunting you could effectively call a turkey in but now there are too many hens and the gobbler will normally not come to you because the hens go to them. Do any of the states have a liberal limit on hens at any point during the year. I also wanted to pass on the fact that I found a real steal on some turkey calls at URL REMOVED today, so if you are not done with turkey's check it out even if you don't use it until next year. Thanks.
greenhead1000
Newb

Postby gahunter » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:50 pm

Greenhead, you need to read the topic. I posted that one, because I have gotten my limit of gobblers for the season. Hens can't be harvested in GA, they are completely off limits. Stick with it, those ol' hens have to go on the nest some time. And when they do, those gobblers will be looking for love in all the wrong places. :laughing: :salude:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby greenhead1000 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:19 am

My apologies on misunderstanding the topic. I agree that is something that I am definitely waiting on to give us some type of advantage when you can't kill hens. Thanks for the response.
greenhead1000
Newb

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:18 am

Here in Missouri you cant kill a hen during the spring season but you can during the fall. But like gahunter said, wait untill the hens goto nest then calling them in gets easier. I would suggest if you go out a couple of times and notice that the toms won't come to your calls because they have hens with them, I would sleep in and then go out later in the afternoon. Unless you find out were they are going, then go real early and get between them and the hens.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby gahunter » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:24 pm

:withstupid:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:41 am

Starting to get frustrated now. I went out yesterday and I just got back from going this morning. Yesterday morning I had a bird gobbling on the roost about 100 yards or so away. He had other priorities I guess when he flew down, because he flew straight away from me.

This morning was even worse. I'm only hunting a little more than 20 acres so it's tuff. I probably heard about 5 different birds gobblin on the roost, but all of them were off of the property I was hunting, and they were way off.

I just want to be able to work a bird. I don't need to kill one. It would be nice but I just want to get one to answer my hen calls, which I haven't been able to do yet. All the birds that I've heard gobblin have answered owl hoots, but nothing else.

I'm trying again tomorrow on the small piece of ground, but Sat/Sun I'll be up North on about 650 acres, so I'll actually be able to chase down some birds maybe.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:21 am

I was the other one that posted on that topic to. I'm through with turkeys for the season because I have already got my 3 longbeards. About those gobblers flying away in the morning. Sometimes after the hens go to the nest the gobbler will be by him self & remember that hen he heard earlier in the morning. Sometimes he will come all the way back to look for that hen,even if you have not called in a couple of hours. Just don't give up. I went several years when I first started out turkey hunting without getting a longbeard. I have been turkey hunting about 15yrs now. I have killed almost 40 turkeys during that time. Just got to get the monkey off your back. :laughing: Good luck :thumbsup:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:53 pm

11am-2pm is the best time to be out. The gobblers are by themselves usually. Sometimes you will even hear panic gobbling. They are very vulnerable at this time. If you can get one to gobble they are usually dead.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:49 pm

wel li think im done, we got over an inch and a half last night and the creeks are out. I dont think i will be able to get into the timer til the creeks go down.
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:45 am

I got a bird Saturday morning. 18 pound jake and I won't mention beard or spur length. :mrgreen: The morning was really bad for turkey hunting. 30 mph winds, overcast, sudden cold snap the night before, and you couldn't hear anything in the way of gobbling. I was set up at the edge of a field just blind calling and all the sudden I saw him when he was about 15 yds. away.
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Upland Game