Turkey/pheasant Hunting tips

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Turkey/pheasant Hunting tips

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:42 am

Anyone have some tips they want to share? What land would you recommend in southern MN? I will be using a 100+ year-old 4 shot, bolt action 12ga shotgun, unless I can use the muzzleloader for turkey.
Thanks. I also need tips and info on good land to hunt duck/goose.
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby birdslayer » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:59 pm

For pheasants try to find areas with wetlands. If there is at least a couple of inches of snow they will flock together near thick cover found in these areas. You can also trail them. Birds are tougher this late so I only use #4.
Duck-21
Geese-3
Pheasant-14
Quail-21
Grouse-1
birdslayer
hunter

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:21 am

I didn't thing I wold be doing any this winter, but I am going to try for some turkey this spring. I went deer hunting with a friend, but didn't even see any signs of deer. I guess it was fun even though we always came home empty handed :smile: :rolleyes:
Last edited by YAMAHA RIDER on Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:43 am

Hey MC,
Since i hail from up your way I think I can at least get your pointed in the right direction. First off, find an area you are INTERESTED in hunting - you don't have to know a specific location, just a general area. Then go out and buy some PRIM maps - if you google it, theres a few places that sell em online like Latitudes Map store - then you can use that as a base for scouting. Plat maps can be good too and are usually available from county offices. Both of these options can help you with either - PRIM maps show you all public land in the state.
If you hunt pheasants, you will have to be careful about where you go with that 100 year old gun, as sometimes, you will end up on a Waterfowl Production Area where you cannot shoot lead - something your gun may not agree with obviously.
The prim maps should take care of all of your hunting woes as far as location goes. They're no magic bullet by any means and you can still get skunked, but it will help you get to where you want to go.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:51 am

Nuts, :sad: you don't mean to say I have to buy that high priced steel shot AND buy a more current gun to shoot it :huh: :eek: :eek: :eek:
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:23 pm

I Wish I didnt have to be the one to say it, but yeah probably. I have a couple old guns that dont get much use for that reason. The other options of course is to buy Tungsten Matrix or bismuth if you can find them, but then you tell me the price is worth it. If you can find TM, its going for about 30 a box.
:no:
Sorry to say it.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:56 pm

Well, thanks for helping the noob out :wink: I can get steel load for about $15 at walmart so that isn't to bad. I called the DNR and yes, I have to use "non toxic" ammo :sad: I don't know what this world is coming to :huh: I am looking at a Rem 870- it is also about 100 years old, but it should serve the purpose.
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:58 pm

just to let you know, you can probably find a fairly new pump shotguns (at least some of them) for under $200- just in case you dont want another 100 year old gun.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby birdslayer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:21 am

Like a mossberg. Mine was 200. My friends was 170.
Duck-21
Geese-3
Pheasant-14
Quail-21
Grouse-1
birdslayer
hunter

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:54 am

I found a REALLY nice (like new) mossberg for $160. What do you think of them?
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:16 am

My gun has a really tight full choke. I can't fit a nickel down the barrel for anything. Will this gun still be OK for use on pheasants?
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:49 am

MCridersince2007 wrote:I found a REALLY nice (like new) mossberg for $160. What do you think of them?

For my money, thats not a bad buy - as long as the bore looks to be in good condition. I would say go for it if thats the case. For pheasants I wouldnt personally shoot a full, I won't claim that my shooting is that good that I want to handicap myself, so a Mod or IC choke would be my vote.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:03 pm

Ok, need more :help: :wink: I bought 3 boxes of #5 lead shot this year only to realize that lead can't be used (starting in 08') on pheasant nno!: :mad: So, what should I use for steel shot size? I can use anything up to 3-1/2 shell size so :gatgun: away at what you use. I know you are to go down two shot sizes for steel, but that means I will be using #2 or #3 and will REALLY lose the shot count.

Also, what choke should I use- Skeet :help:
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:18 pm

I think you've been misinformed. At this point there is no official lead ban, though the idea was discussed at the recent meetings in St Cloud.
Theres a recent article in the Duluth News Tribune that talks a bit about it.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/articl ... Sam%20Cook

And while the cost issue is big for me, I can't say I totally object to the idea of an all out lead ban. In the meantime, your lead is still good in most cases.
If you hunt public land, excepting Waterfowl Production Areas, you can still carry lead. So, in most cases, lead for pheasants is still a go. It's importantto know the regs, and in some cases, you SHOULD have steel - especially if the day includes watefowl hunting as well, or you are in an area that requires non-tox.
So basically, use that stuff up - I think it's gonna happen in MN sooner than later, but for 2008, I doubt they will make that change wholesale.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:14 pm

I called the DNR and they said lead is fine. I got my idea from the firearm instructor. He said you can't hunt pheasant with lead starting in 08'.
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby Kiskadinna » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:11 pm

Very interestign that instructors would start saying that - perhaps he was just confused by the recent talk.
Like I said - I think it's going to happen so you might as well use it up, but Sam Cook makes a good point about phasing lead shot out.
How was your firearms safety calss? I've never taken it in MN, but I know folks who have and whil they enjoyed it, I think NE does a better job - students shoot clays, .22 rifles from multiple positions and muzzleloader with sillhouette targets. All for free too.
And regarding the skeet choke, I only ever use a skeet while grouse hunting - and even then not all the time. PHeasants can flush too wild for a skeet to be effective at necessary ranges.
-Erik
Kiskadinna
Super Moderator

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:38 pm

We will be able to shoot .22 and pellet guns :rolleyes: I am going to ask the instructor if he wants me to provide a Muzzleloader for the class to shoot :thumbsup: I think it would help them if they could learn to load/shoot a muzzleloader.
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:30 pm

actually, the mossberg is what i had in mind when i made my last post- that's what i got about 3-4 years back and it's worked great for me.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:24 am

I ended up getting a Stoeger (sp?) P350 :thumbsup: It seems to be a great gun so far... :thumbsup:
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby YAMAHA RIDER » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 am

For got to mention the one problem I have... I can't fit it :oops: the stock needs to be cun down about 1/2"-1" or I need to remove the butt pad and just run with the hollow stock hitting me :wink:
YAMAHA RIDER
hunter

Postby DangleCity » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:56 pm

"Push the bush, Rock the cock." :rofl:
Whistlers on the deck!
DangleCity
hunter

Postby don taylor » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:12 pm

only shoot cockbirds above your eye level and keep you eyes on the air in front of you. Don't look at the ground. You'll be to late on hard flushers .
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Upland Game