Upland Hunting: Game farm or not

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Do you hunt on game farms or in the wild?

game farm
4%
the wild
58%
both
38%

Total votes : 52

Upland Hunting: Game farm or not

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue May 10, 2005 10:20 am

I have only hunted once on a game farm, and frankly I didn't think it was worth the money. I'd rather be skunked with money in my pocket than skunked and broke. Instead I'll opt to spend a little cash on a drive a little farther from home to where the birds are, than to go to a game farm. So do you hunt primarily on or off game farms, or both? why do you choose one over the other?
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue May 10, 2005 11:04 am

Wild only, not that im against the farm idea just never really had ventured that way.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Tue May 10, 2005 11:29 am

My buddy's farm, as well as state game lands - I guess that's the wilds; or as wild as the outdoors get here in W. Pa. I agree, Trois_Beaux_Canards - why spend the extra dough? Besides, I couldn't afford to hunt a game farm, anyhow. Additionally, getting skunked on a hunt has become a way of life for me; especially on turkey hunts. Seems that the biggest turkey around here in W.Pa. is the one who typed this post.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue May 10, 2005 12:27 pm

I think game farms are a great training tool for dogs. I think the best way to finish dogs is on wild birds, but as far as guaranteeing bird contacts, you can't beat them. I have gone to two of them in Missouri. One is about as close as you can get to real hunting, and the other I took my dog to when I wanted to get her on birds for the training experience. If I didn't train my own dogs, I would probably never go to them, but that is why I do go. The prices are unbelievable too, but training birds aren't cheap either. It only costs me 2 more dollars to have someone else plant all my birds and not have my scent around the birds that are planted. Wild hunting is still the best though, there is nothing like a covey of 15 or so quail busting in your face.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue May 10, 2005 1:19 pm

I have never hunted on a game farm just the wild. We have a few game farms in my county & they seem to get hunted more by people that live in the big cities than small town folks.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 10, 2005 9:14 pm

Here in california sometimes it's hard to find good public land or land that you can get the rights to hunt. So for the last couple of years i have been going to a place where they plant the birds. I call this chicken hunting. But i wanted my young dog to get the idea of what upland hunting was like, because we mostly only hunt waterfowl. But after the last time we went, must have been in first part of feb. , i think it was my last. We had about 20 some birds planted (costs us an arm and two legs) my 2yr old lab caught 8 chucker before we could get a shot off. Their feathers were so wet they couldn't fly, the don't have feathers like wild game. Not only was it not fun, now my dog thinks he is doing a good job by snachin a bird out of the air and bringing it back to me. Probably done with the chicken huntin.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby 98ramtough » Tue May 10, 2005 9:32 pm

That is hilarious.

You have to be careful about hunting dogs too much on chicken farms, if they plant the birds in the same spots your dog will learn to just run to the spot instead of finding the bird. I have seen a couple pointers ruined from this...

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue May 10, 2005 9:39 pm

Your right ram, I've seen guys with the old fat dogs, the dogs are smart, they know that if they follow the buggy tracks in the grass, they will find a bird sooner or later. and the hunters just smile like mann do i have a great dog. I grew up in southwest kansas, so i know what upland huntin is all about, its not a "farm".

Also i don't think that the farm birds have the same smell. I worry that my dog will just get stuck on that fake smell. Anyways i'm done with the chickens. cost too much for too little. But it's always good to let the dog work.

I am planning a kansas pheasant and duck hunt later this year. If everything goes right i can squeak out two weeks back there. Show the old pup what cold is. Probably won't even get out of the truck.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby 98ramtough » Tue May 10, 2005 9:50 pm

I would love to take my chessie to kansas or somewhere on a pheasant hunt. I can usually hear him chasing up pheasants while I am setting decoys in the morning. My female was flushing quail at 14 weeks pretty good, she hasn't been on a quail hunt since! :) I didn't hunt upland at all last year. Damn greenheads are addicting. My dog loves to hunt upland though, He thinks he is part springer or something. (might be, he did come from the humane society!)
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Brett Beinke » Wed May 11, 2005 9:09 am

I do hunt farms occasionally. In MN all of our seasons are crammed into just a few months and farm nirds offer an opporutnity to hunt when all other hunting seasons are closed. For me, upland birds (except turkeys) are great eating but probably wouldn't do it as often if it was not for the dog work. That is what makes upland game hunting special is watching great dog work. There are farms out ther that do not plant birds at all. They every so often release a bunch of birds into the fields. These birds are a little more willey than those taken out fo pens and planted. There is still no doubt that wild birds are harder to hit than farm birds but again, it is still about the dog work.
Brett Beinke
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed May 11, 2005 11:03 pm

brett, while reading your post, i remembered the first time i went chicken hunting. Me and my buddy are waiting by our assigned field just before our shoot time 8 a.m., and i see one of the guys planting the birds, he had the pheasant by the feet spinning it in circles. I asked my friend what the hell he was doing, and he said "Oh, he's making it dizzy so that it doesn't wander off to far>" :eek: :eek: I about packed up and went home. I would love to find a farm that didn't plant birds.

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby gsphunter » Thu May 12, 2005 6:34 am

Ace, you're right. It would be nice if they could just turn about a thousand birds loose at the begining of there season. Then the birds would be in natural cover when you came and actually "hunted" them. When I said that I train my dog on them sometimes. I didn't start going to them, until she was steady to flush. I haven't seen good enough flyers at the farms to bring a flushing dog.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Brett Beinke » Thu May 12, 2005 9:42 am

You have to look around but they are out there. They do exactly what gsp had mentioned. When the flush counts start dropping they add another 1000 or so to the fields. There is no scratch hunting as all birds are not dizzied up and planted. They become better fliers as they still have to survive natural predation as well.
Brett Beinke
hunter

Postby mirage1 » Thu May 12, 2005 10:55 am

I do both Where I live hunting land is hard to find close by (major metro area). The place I take my labs has great fields & the cost is not outrageous I would like to upland only wild & do for a week-10 days every year But the put & take places help me keep my dogs sharp Just my$.02 :salude:
Sanctuary Isle Retrievers
mirage1
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu May 12, 2005 12:53 pm

gotta agree with the "chicken hunting". i know alot of game farms don't really offer much in the way of "sport".

however, i do know of one that offers you a very real hunting experience. the birds are placed out well ahead of time and tend to start to move around on their own after a short time. there are wild birds that share the same land and the area is a fairly large and open space with lots of cover and good escape routes. the birds usually flush hard and are willing to run from hunters making too much noise.

it still isn't the same as wild birds, but dang close.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu May 12, 2005 2:20 pm

Never hunted on a pheasant farm and may never as I enjoy hunting the wild birds however scarce they may be. It just seems like more of a challenge.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Bret » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:27 pm

I have used game farms to help finish young dogs or just get them exposure to birds. When I go hunting it is after wild birds.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:37 pm

I know this post is kind of late from when it started, but being from South Dakota and pheasants are kings. What my family does every year is the best of both worlds. We raise anywhere from 500 to a 1000 pheasants untill they are old enough to fly and when that happens we open the pen gates and let them go. The reason behind this is, to protect the wild birds from being eaten by preditors and it also boost the pheasant population. And by the time opener rolls around, you really can't tell the differnce between the ones we raised and the wild ones. It also helps with the following year with more cabale breeders.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby mallardman77 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:10 pm

Whats a game farm??? :yes:

There is no such thing in my neck of the woods(at least to my knowledge) so all i can hunt is in the wild.

:salude:
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:51 pm

Sorry to say that all of my bird hunting is on a preserve. A group of us slip off a time or two and (buy) a few pheasant. It gives us a good chance to kill a few birds and see a good broke dog work. I'm afraid the day of having a good bird dog and going out in an afternoon and finding 8 or nine coveys of birds around here in central va. are long gone :thumbsdown:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Cutter of Drakes » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:17 am

my pup is only 15 months we are hunting wild birds now butt to train him and gett some serious bird contact for him in real good settings I had to take him out to a game farm since most of the property here is privatly owned it worked great now we hunt only wild birds and he has adjusted accordingly well.He hunts with more drive and points more staunchly with the wild birds we come in contact with since they are more far and few between. The preserves are great training utensils for starting dogs butt will never compare to the witts and instinct of a wild covey of Gambels quail or old white top rooster.
Cutter of Drakes
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:27 am

I hunt both, although I must admit that more and more I'm finding myself on game farms. Why? Several reasons: it is next to impossible to just walk up and knock on a few doors and get permission to hunt in S.E. MI anymore; State land is packed with hunters (most of them idiots)& devoid of birds and the DNR doesn't want to take the time or money and plant renewable food sources (such as wild grape)...instead they will put in corn fields...because that's what the DEER hunters want (and they basically control what the DNR does or doesnt' do...money talks!); when I book a field at a pheasant farm, I know I will be the ONLY hunter in that field, so I don't have to worry about some jerk ruining my hunt, and I'm tired of walking miles, driving miles, ect to maybe get a shot at a bird once a year.
Having said that, I am in the preliminary stages of setting up a hunt in N.D. for upland and waterfowl, and looking forward to the experience.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:29 am

I will also add that if you hunt on a weekday, you will usually find a few birds that were put out on the weekend and missed that have moved about a bit and don't act like the planted birds....they run, skulk, ect.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:23 pm

I don't know if you'd call this a game farm but I guess thats what it is. I belong to an upland bird club from Sept. to April... When the regular PA pheasant season rolls around I don't go anywhere near the club. The way I figure it I've spent over $2,000 on my dogs and $1,500 on my Beretta O/U. It's just not worth having 3 weeks out of the year to hunt upland game with so much money and time invested and more importantly, it's not fair for the dogs. How would all of you guys like it if someone only allowed you to do the thing you love the most 3 weeks out of the year.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Planted birds?

Postby mjlduckman » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:23 pm

I once heard a rumor, but havn't researched it at all, that South Dakota has hundreds of thousands of birds shipped in and released at night a couple of weeks prior to the season opening? Has anyone ever heard this. I don't really believe it, but not sure either. If it was the case though, then all of SD would be a bird farm????
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Next

Return to Upland Game