Pheasant's any one

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Pheasant's any one

Postby duckdog » Wed May 11, 2005 10:30 pm

Who love's to go out and bust some pheaasant's in the fall, when the duck's are'nt flying? I live in NW IOWA so there is plenty of them shot 48 of them last year. Actually only went out after them twice, the rest of them I got walking out of the slough duck hunting mostly, or see them out to my dads farm, and go after them.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu May 12, 2005 6:37 am

That sounds like fun duckdog. I wish Missouri had pheasants like that. I'm going to make a trip to SD this fall, and several trips up to NW Missouri, where the pheasants are supposed to be somewhat populated. It sounds like I may have to plan a trip to Iowa sometime too.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Admin3 » Thu May 12, 2005 7:54 am

While I mostly waterfowl hunt. I always spend at least one three day weekend hunting pheasants with my dad. It is pretty much our annual trip together. It is the one I have always made through college and work and everything else. I live almost 7 hours from home now so we don't get to hunt together as much as we used to.

I sure enjoy watching dogs work and I am still amazed every time a rooster explodes out of the grass or cattails. I always get that little rush.
For a good time.....go hunting and eat kuchen.
Admin3
Site Admin

Postby gahunter » Thu May 12, 2005 7:31 pm

No fair! :pissed: The closest wild pheasants to me are something crazy like a 18hr. drive. I would absolutely love to pheasant hunt. I'm seriously considering booking a hunt in SD or somewhere where there are some wild roosters. The drive just sucks though.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Thu May 12, 2005 10:04 pm

My favorite hunt is ducks in the morning, walk the fields for pheasants and then get the geese in the afternoon! :getdown:
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby vikingsfan » Fri May 13, 2005 1:04 pm

For the past 2 years we've gone to SD were my dad grew up and we duck/goose hunts and then go for pheasants!! It's a blast and its great hunting! :thumbsup:
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Fri May 13, 2005 1:51 pm

down here in TN we don't get any pheasants unless you go to some kind of pay-to-hunt deal :thumbsdown:
frazier2209
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon May 16, 2005 9:37 pm

Although Iowa has some excellent rooster hunting, if I were to go on a trip to shoot them. I would opt for South Dakota it is by far the pheasant capitol( hard to admit it :laughing: )
duckdog
hunter

Postby Admin3 » Mon May 16, 2005 10:00 pm

I have hunted ND, SD and MN for pheasants and for pure numbers of birds it is hard to beat SD.
For a good time.....go hunting and eat kuchen.
Admin3
Site Admin

Postby gsphunter » Wed May 18, 2005 6:56 am

I'm thinking about a trip to Kansas and SD next year. The one bad thing I have heard about SD is the unbelievable numbers of birds. I have a dog that I like to work and see it hunt. I have heard that dogs that aren't used to it go crazy when they go into a field and there is bird scent everywhere. Also I have heard stories of guys limiting out in less than an hour. It's about a 10 to 12 hour drive for me and I want to hunt for most of the day if I'm doing that. I'm going to try to make both trips and see which is better.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Wed May 18, 2005 10:33 am

Let us know how it goes. I would love to go SD some day to hunt. My grandfather used to go there for a month to hunt pheasants every year.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Wed May 18, 2005 9:22 pm

We have a fair number of pheasants. It's good hunting, nothing like SD or anything, but it gets all of us by.....though funny thing is.....this is my third year and I still haven't killed me a rooster. Most of the time I choke and miss all three or two or maybe even one shot! They scare the crap out of me so......but mostly everytime we go my friend gets one and he gives me the first 2 shots :oops: .....I'm just the unlucky one! :thumbsdown:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby duckdog » Thu May 19, 2005 9:02 pm

Dont worry i've been hunting them since i was ten, and sometimes they still scare the crap out of me!!! Nice thing when they scare you they are close you usually have time to recover, and shoot em :thumbsup:
duckdog
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Fri May 20, 2005 9:02 pm

i go out to iowa to see my aunt and uncle over thanksgiving and usually get some pheasant hunting in then. last year i got 2 roosters and a ton of rabbits. ive been shooting at them for 5 years (since i was 11 or 12) and got my first one when i was in 6th grade. it has almost become a tradition for me to miss the first one i see every year because it is really supprising when they jump out from your feet. great fun tho
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sat May 21, 2005 7:21 am

I live in the middle of pheasant land. There is alot of pheasants around here. :thumbsup:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sat May 21, 2005 3:25 pm

So when are you inviting us up for a hunt MallardHunter? :mrgreen:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sat May 21, 2005 11:46 pm

:withstupid: Never hunted for the Roosters. I'd love to, just never have.
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Sun May 22, 2005 1:05 pm

:withstupid: :toofunny:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon May 23, 2005 11:49 pm

If your ever in NW Iowa give me an E-mail love to go blast some rooties with you. Just make sure it's after thanksgiving thats when it start's getting good! :thumbsup:
duckdog
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed May 25, 2005 9:23 am

i plan on giving it a try sometime soon...hopefully even this year. my biggest problem is having the time to do all of the trips i want to take. who knows though, maybe i can work out a combo on one of the ducks trips i am taking.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Bret » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:26 pm

I love to hunt ringnecks. I grew up hunting them. We use to have a fair share around here. Now most everything here close is in subdivisions. I still manage a few but I travel north to Idaho for most of my pheasant hunts these days. I have two close friends that are English Setters that really make for an enjoyable hunt. No matter what breed you hunt you have to love the dog work on pheasants.

Bret
Bret
hunter

Postby mallardman77 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:59 pm

There is so few phesants in Mb. that it would be a waste of time trying. I'm determined to get to N.D. or S.D. soon. That is one hunt i know i would love.
Is it september the 8th yet???

mallardman77
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:32 pm

Roosters ARE the best BANG for the buck...My in laws live outside of Onawa,IA. We may go up for Thankgiving this year and get a little huntin in. I like stalking those MONSTER bux along the edges of the cornfields as well. Y'all would have it made if it didnt get so DANG CCCOOOOLLLLDDDD. :yes: Y'all have a nice day! :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:49 pm

I will agree we do have aton of pheasants here. But also remeber we do have ducks and geese to hunt. Depends on when you come you could hunt all day. So you should really give it a try. I would recomend to come some time in Nov. Most out of state hunters are gone by then and you can hunt from 10 untill sunset, and if you limit, you can then go hunt ducks and geese or go fishing.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:20 pm

hmmm...pheasants. a little somthing like this maybe???

Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Next

Return to Upland Game