Dove Hunters

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Dove Hunters

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Fri May 20, 2005 9:55 am

How many Dove hunters do we have? We always go early goose hunting in the morning & then head to the dove fields before noon on opening day.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby take EM' close » Fri May 20, 2005 3:21 pm

We do the same thing....sometimes when we're setup in fields for geese we will have doves pass over and if it's going slow we shoot them. Where we dove hunt, we have a small pond next to it and everyonce in a while a few geese will fly over low and we bust them...though we have to carry steel with us and when we hear them we unload really fast and throw the steel in. Kind of a hassel but oh well! :thumbsup:
No other site like honkers floating into you're decoys!
take EM' close
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Fri May 20, 2005 4:54 pm

Our dove season in Ok starts sep 1 and it's usually around 80-90 degrees outside. It's really fun shooting those things, gets real hot though.
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Fri May 20, 2005 5:29 pm

When i lived in sw kansas dove hunting was great. Leave the house at about 5 in the afternoon. Go out next to a windmill in a cattle pasture. Sit on you bucket and wait for the doves to come in. Couple of hours you'd have your limit. Can't remember what the limit was? I think it was around 11 but could be wrong.

Central California is a little different ( In a hell of a lot of ways i might add.) Here we have so much more compitition for the birds. So far i havn't found a place that i like yet, but havn't been out all of that much. Our limit is 7 a day.

Dove is great, because that means that duck is right around the corner.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby quackkiller » Fri May 20, 2005 5:46 pm

I look forward to dove season every year. We always have a few pretty good spots. I also like it because I get some good shooting practice before duck season.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby gahunter » Fri May 20, 2005 8:45 pm

Dove season is great if you can find some birds, which has been tough the last couple of years. It is always hot as hell, though, because the season comes in at the first of September with temps in the 90's.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Fri May 20, 2005 10:25 pm

:withstupid:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sat May 21, 2005 3:30 pm

I love dove hunting. I actually have a pretty sweet spot to dove hunt real close to the mississippi river. A farmer lets me hunt his ground, and he plants corn and sunflowers. It's got everything you need for dove hunting, power lines, food, a small watering hole, and it's real close to the river.
Same thing with the other guys on here though. It's so hot when I go. September 1st is opening day and it's still in the mid to upper eighties. It's a blast though, having two boxes of shells shot up to get 12 birds.
Last edited by gsphunter on Sun May 22, 2005 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sat May 21, 2005 9:55 pm

when i was a kid we use to kill alot of dove. havent hunted dove in years. was fun hunting them though. would mostly hunt orchards in the evenings.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Sat May 21, 2005 11:44 pm

My buddy and I hunt a farm that always produces for us. We can go out every day and in an hour have our limit, without fail. We hunt usually with three to four people. We sit in a triangle set up. He sits on the edge of the cut corn about 100 yards ahead of us. The rest of us sit up about 50 yards apart, inline, on the back edge of the cut corn with standing milo to our back. When the birds come in, the front man busts them up and then the back guys shoot up the busted flock making their way over to the milo field behind us. It works like a charm. We all have 2 way radios and mics to talk to each other across the fields. We regulary have flocks of 20-50 doves coming into this field that we hunt. It's a ball!
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed May 25, 2005 9:27 am

i love to dove hunt also. i'm in the same boat ga is in about the high heat and humidity. it's pretty tough on the dog and causes me to worry about him. even still, it's a great time and i love to wrap them up in bacon with a bit of jalpeno and toss 'em in the smoker.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Wed May 25, 2005 10:59 pm

I carry some jugs of water for mine.
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed May 25, 2005 11:18 pm

Last year i bought a camel pak holds 70 oz. of water. It's pretty handy. A lab can drink 70 oz. of water pretty damn quick though. I was a little supprised.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby shrpshtr » Thu May 26, 2005 8:48 am

CALLEMQUACKTN wrote:I carry some jugs of water for mine.

i carry a collapsible coller full of ice and 4 or 6 qt bottles of water for him and me. after he goes through the bottles he has the ice as it melts. but you're right, it takes a lot of water to keep him hydrated!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Sun May 29, 2005 8:58 pm

The night before I just freeze a couple of 2 liters and throw them in the cooler. THis way your water doesn't get hot real fast. it slowly melts as the day goes on. I'm in the same boat about hunting geese in the mornin then doves in the evening. this year, goose season opens real early and we will probably hunt them in the timber. If you haven't hunted geese in flooded timber you haven't really hunted them. It is tough getting a goose to cup down into a little timber hole. ANyways that's how we roll. I think one weekend is early goose, then the next weekend is wood duck/teal. :mrgreen: that's when you start getting excited :smile: :toofunny:
frazier2209
hunter

Return to Upland Game