New pointer

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

New pointer

Postby decoydog2 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:03 pm

I have been upland hunting with labs since i was a wee lad. While at the Sportsman's show in Pasco, i came across a gorgeous English Setter pup and the breeder said that he had been introduced to live birds at 7 weeks old. I showed great intrest in the dog mainly because you just don't see many of them around here. Well to make a long story short, i bought the dog and for the first time in my life i will get to experience the thrill of hunting behind a true pointer and with some training and luck.... a great friend and partner for many years to come. Your input on this breed would be greatly appreciated since all i have heard on their hunting abilities has been very positive.
I want to be Mike Gagne when i grow up!
decoydog2
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:13 pm

I don't have much info on english setters. I've hunted over a couple of them before, but only once or twice and they were other peoples dogs. From what I've heard/seen, they have good noses, and are great hunters. Best of luck to ya with yer new dog.
The life cycle of a hunter... hunt, eat, sleep if there is time, then go hunt again.

Chuck Norris doesn't go hunting, becasue hunting infers the possibility of failure. Rather, Chuck Norris goes killing.
duckplucker
hunter

Postby muddydog » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:05 am

Congrats on the new pup. Ive used English pointers. Pointing is instinctive, its what they do if bred right. All you will need to teach is Intro. to gun fire, control the dog, and teach them to back or honor another dog. I use the whoa command. Everything else should come naturally. Good Luck!
muddydog
hunter

Return to Upland Game