Hurray!!!

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Hurray!!!

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:15 pm

I just checked online and found out that i drew my tag for the first hunt of the Spring Turkey season here in Michigan. :party: ...Cant wait for the opener. :biggrin:

Any other Michigan boys draw a permit?
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby jehler » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:21 pm

Not succesful, My son though, drew for his first hunt :thumbsup: I printed it out and dropped it off at school for him, very exited :yes:
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby DiscoDuck » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:01 am

What do you mean? You have to draw for a turkey tag?
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:17 am

Disco, our state has the turkey season drawn into a ton of different hunts, different areas and different dates. Each area has a quota of early hunt tags wich you have to draw for. This was fine when MI had a low turkey population but now there are high turkey numbers and instead of getting rid of the draw system the state added a guaranteed hunt for private land that you can buy outright but it is after all the early hunts that you must enter a drawing for. Really lame but the state does not want to give up the 3 or 4 dollar application fee. I applied for hunt 106 wich is the earlyest hunt in my county but i didn't draw, I can still buy a license but it is only good on private land and after the other seasons :thumbsdown:
jehler

Postby A-Bomb » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:53 am

I agree, our state is broken into several hunts with different quotas because some areas of the state have low populations of birds compared to others. Areas of the Northern lower are some that have poor populations. There are good populations up there, but mostly near the agricultural areas.

The application deal then OTC to the public is bs and is definitely something that irks me when it comes to our spring hunt. That needs to be remedied for sure....Either have a draw or dont. I personally would prefer that it stays a draw so that it doesnt turn into Nov. 15 in the spring so public land hunters can enjoy a high quality hunt.

Good luck to you and your son. I hope he gets a tom with a 12" beard! No matter what, i bet he has a riot...its tought to beat a morning in the spring woods. :yes: ...sorry you didnt draw your first hunt bud. :sad: The 234 hunt is good for any lands open to hunting except public land in the classified ZZ unit if i read things correctly.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:33 pm

Abomb, we've got a ton of places to hunt private land so we are in good shape. My son who's just turning ten has been saving up for two years to buy a shotgun, It came in last week, a beretta urika 2 20 gauge youth, it is at the gunsmith having new pads installed after the gunshop owner did a custom fitting, this combined with his turkey license is better than x-mas for him. The way he is worked up, man it's going to be a great season
jehler

Postby A-Bomb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:49 am

Oh good, im glad to hear you have a place to lean up against a tree in the spring woods. :thumbsup:

The story about your sone is great to hear. Its nice to know that there is a few of the younger generation grabbing the reins to lead our great sport in the future. Your son reminds me of myself when i was his age. I would work all summer and save my money to buy new hunting equipment. My Dad gave me my first shotgun, but ill never forget the excitment when we went to pick up my .22 and my .30-06 taht i had worked so hard to earn. Along with the excitment it gives you a great sense of appreciation for something because you know how hard you worked to get it. It will be a great season for sure. Im looking forward to the storys and pics from your hunts together. :yes:

Take care and good luck.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Upland Game