Crow Hunting

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Crow Hunting

Postby duckin-A » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:25 am

Any Experienced crow hunters with advice for decoys, calls, elec calls
any other successful info is appreciated.
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby duck slayer02 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:05 pm

We crow hunt once duck season closes. All we use for decoys are 6 Flambeaus. For a caller, we use a FoxPro FX3. Just put your decoys out, and put your layout blinds about 20 yards away, and turn the caller on. We have very good sucess with this combination.

David
"Stephens Waterfowling"
duck slayer02
hunter

Postby jrockncash » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:17 pm

I use a avery fully flocked crow decoy and one of my turkey locator calls. Put out two and setup where you know some crows are. Good luck kill em all save a duck.
There is more value to land not developed than simply monetary. Aldo Leopold

The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmond Burke

What could be worse than getting humped by Bears? Bubbles Trailer Park Boys
jrockncash
hunter

Postby don taylor » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:32 pm

We always put a deke in a tree, crows have lookouts. We also bought 3 - 10' pieces of Plastic conduit and mounted the speaker on top. That way you can spin the speaker into the direction of flying birds and it gives them the feeling that the deke in the tree is talking. For a while we always played a crow fight and put out a owl deke and surrounded it with some crow dekes. That brought them dive bombing in. Spring is a tough time to crow hunt. Juvenile birds make a murder very wary. You have to remember the first bird to come in is a scout. Don't shoot him to quickly. Always set up at the tallest tree. Always. If I can think of any other "musts" i'll post.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bootoxen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:30 pm

Interesting,why the tallest tree? new to shotguning for crows, we have been picking tree lines/patches without tall trees. Seems like they follow the tree height. Also, after we shoot at them (kill or no kill) that spots dead. We run and gun, move 1k yards or so. That owl fight brings 'em right in, within minutes.

don taylor wrote:We always put a deke in a tree, crows have lookouts. We also bought 3 - 10' pieces of Plastic conduit and mounted the speaker on top. That way you can spin the speaker into the direction of flying birds and it gives them the feeling that the deke in the tree is talking. For a while we always played a crow fight and put out a owl deke and surrounded it with some crow dekes. That brought them dive bombing in. Spring is a tough time to crow hunt. Juvenile birds make a murder very wary. You have to remember the first bird to come in is a scout. Don't shoot him to quickly. Always set up at the tallest tree. Always. If I can think of any other "musts" i'll post.
bootoxen
hunter

Postby ohsay » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:11 pm

When we use decoys (maybe 5% of the time) we set out a few in a field along a tree line, and a couple in the trees. We use reveille or the old death cry of a crow from Johnny Stewart. We generally only bother to setup like this when there are large flocks of crows in the area that we want to shoot twice. We bring them in this way and as soon as the shooting stops we turn on foxpro's Dying Crow and get some to turn right back to us. The vast majority of the time we just stay hidden and turn on Dying Crow. That call works so well it's really all you need.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:59 pm

I just hit up the ole crow call.
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don taylor » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:35 pm

The lookout bird that flies in to investigate will always pick the highest tree to land in and observe. I watch crows fly the fields where I goose hunt and pattern them for post season shooting. Its a solid bet that your best chance will be where the birds feel the most comfortable. Just like a general the want the high ground. They are the smartest bird I have ever hunted. If you can conceal yourself and successfully hunt them it says a lot. We have a landfill that services Pittsburgh that we hunt near. My buddy kurt and I had our highest one day total of 241 birds in a single day. It sounds like a lot but mid summer we get thousands there. They used to let us hunt inside the landfill till some jerk peppered a dozer a couple times. Crows will fly for miles and investigate. The speaker on the pole extends your sound range so much you can call in birds miles away. I just looked at my calls and its a primos brand. cheap price and easy to work. Check your regs. This is the breeding season coming up and I would expect a month or two break soon. What loads/gun/shot you going to use?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:40 pm

The Cat Island Drake wrote:I just hit up the ole crow call.

That's what I do. I can't justify putting the money or effort of carrying them to shoot at something I'm not gonna eat. I still get plenty of crows.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bootoxen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:34 pm

yeah, I understand. My friend bought a caller and decoys. I took my kids old Ipod nano with a set of speakers and downloaded a few MP3's. It works!

shooting my 935 with some 3" #5's that I have laying around.

Preacher1011 wrote:
The Cat Island Drake wrote:I just hit up the ole crow call.

That's what I do. I can't justify putting the money or effort of carrying them to shoot at something I'm not gonna eat. I still get plenty of crows.
bootoxen
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:12 am

It sounds fun. I've never done it. What do you do with the crows once they're dead? If your a fisherman I suppose you could use crows to catch leeches with, but otherwise what do you do with them?
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby water_swatter01 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:41 am

Leave them for the coyotes.
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:45 am

You eat them silly. :tongue: There not that bad but not something I need on the table once a week. I pick nutria and opossum over crow.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Penguine » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 am

This web page with recipes was posted here a while back: http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

Guess you cook them and eat them.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby AU Mallard » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:59 pm

I don't pick the bugs out of my truck grill and eat them either.
AU Mallard
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:21 pm

them crows gooooood 'aten! i make me sum crow pie all da time. and them o-possim's good too. i usually make me sum o-possim soup outa dem critters. but if ya really wanna taste summin good, ya need to try my skunk bisckets. :drool:
SouthArkduckslayers- "I think I got cancer...."
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"yea, I got this bump on my lip"

"REALLY?"

"yea, hang on a second and Ill tell ya bout it, let me put this dip in"
DC KILLER
hunter

Postby DC KILLER » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:23 pm

and dem bugs out da grill's good protein.... i specially like dem grasshoppers, dey got kinda a kick to em
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby ugly ford » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:55 pm

i have six over sized crow decoys and a horned owl decoy. i hang the owl about 15 -20 feet up in a tree out in the open make sure the owl is easy to see from almost all directions. the crows i hang higher then the owl. i am told by the old guy at the gas station that a crow will not sit lower then an owl. i use a old school tape deck ( you remember the ones that were flat and had the one speaker on it)with a mega horn plugged into the earphone hole it is plenty loud. the tape is fighting crow. these little buggers will make a straight line dash for the sound of the tape deck. you have got to make sure to stay perfectly still or they will circle high then leave. they see just like any other bird does. if they see something they don't like they are gone and will not return. best thing to do is dress head to toe in camo and sit under a bush or tree anything to hide you more.
if you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in english thank a veteran.

MIA POW YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTIN

there is nothing more deadly then a MARINE and his rifle!
ugly ford
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:51 pm

captainduckhead wrote:It sounds fun. I've never done it. What do you do with the crows once they're dead? If your a fisherman I suppose you could use crows to catch leeches with, but otherwise what do you do with them?

Since you're starting to trap again, use them for bait.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DC KILLER » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:09 am

or sautee' em in the skillet :lol:
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:24 pm

thanks for the constructive advice and the humor as well!! :thumbsup:
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:33 pm

we go to a pipeline. we open the truck doors, plug in the tape and sit on the tailgate with shotguns. we kill more that way than gettin in camo and setting up decoys and stuff. :huh:
i guess they think. "surely them guys aint hunting"
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby Greenhead Grappler » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:35 pm

smackaduck wrote:You eat them silly. :tongue: There not that bad but not something I need on the table once a week. I pick nutria and opossum over crow.

:bow: never would have guessed where your from smack.
Canceling Flights in the backwater of Northwest LA
Greenhead Grappler
Forum Moderator

Postby don taylor » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:40 am

I don't think crow hunting fits the upland forum. Maybe you should change the name of the predator forum to predator and varmit forum. Ground hogs, Praire dogs ect. could be included then. I don't see a home to that style of hunting.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DC KILLER » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:45 am

well don, ya see, down here when we get bored we get the urge to either kill somethin or catch somethin. and if it aint duck, deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, etc.... season or the fish aint bitin.... we must turn to the hogs or the crows. :yes: im sure you've had the itchy finger before :thumbsup:
the crows can be a real lifesaver cause they're easy to kill and decent practice for ducks. So with that said, yes they do belong in the upland game forum :wink:
DC KILLER- "HUH?"

"REALLY?"

DC KILLER
hunter

Next

Return to Upland Game