pointing dogs?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Postby playaxplorer » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:06 pm

glad i finally found some folks that truly understand "the versatile gun dog!!" I have a gsp that i found on a dove hunt several years back. she's amazing. she had been abused, and ran at even the sight of the gun, so i just gave her a warm home and some love. after that the rest was natural. earned her trust and she works like a champ.

For me watching the dog work upland is more fun that shooting the bird on the rise.

I also hunt waterfowl with her, she does amazing and is great at scanning the skies, often times she see's the birds before it do!!! GSP's are really wonderful dogs, great companions and truly versatile.

I am quite curious about the German Wirehairs, seems they are a heartier breed and could handle the colder weather i often experience for waterfowling.
"That's a big bird." "Really i thought he'd be more yellow!"
playaxplorer
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:46 pm

I am quite curious about the German Wirehairs, seems they are a heartier breed and could handle the colder weather i often experience for waterfowling.

I've noticed the same thing with the wires I have seen. My dogs have alot of prey drive, but they just don't have that rough and tough attitude in them like I've seen in wires. I've also noticed a whole lot more hard headedness with wires that I attribute to their hard driving temperment.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:10 pm

Whatever you do, don't get a Weimaraner. I hear they are terrible.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:53 am

I hope u don't mean that cus you just opened a 55 gallon drum of woopass and the weirm crew is gonna get after u.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cinrds » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:24 am

From what I understand about the Weimaraner, in many cases the hunt has been breed out and the show has been breed in. If you can find one that is out of a hunting bloodline they are good dogs. My grandfather had one and she was a good hunting dog, but she was breed to hunt.
Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst. John 6:35
cinrds
hunter

Postby reapershunter » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:04 pm

I hunt britts here in colorado for quail and roosters i have had at least 7 over the years im 65 now a few were so good i was not worthy of them about half would retreve two would retreve out of water i hope part of going to the great hunting place in the sky is meeting up and hunting with the great dogs which have gone before you :salude:
one shot one kill
reapershunter
Newb

Postby big_countryks » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:23 pm

cinrds wrote:From what I understand about the Weimaraner, in many cases the hunt has been breed out and the show has been breed in. If you can find one that is out of a hunting bloodline they are good dogs. My grandfather had one and she was a good hunting dog, but she was breed to hunt.

:cool:
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Previous

Return to Upland Game