SoCal Upland game hunting

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

SoCal Upland game hunting

Postby Illinois_Quackhead » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:01 pm

Wanting to find out where to go in So Cal for some upland game hunting. Particularly quail, pheasants, doves and anything of that nature. I know about salton sea for pheasants and etc. But i assume that every upland bird hunter is out there. But i live in SD and want to find out any places that are closer. I know about hollenbeck but as far as i know that was destroyed in the recent fires. I've been to san felipe and that turned into basically taking my shotgun for a walk. Was wondering if there were any other lil honey holes that i could investigate upon. I know no one wants to give up there secrets but come on.... Any and all helpful hints or tips would be appreciated. thanks
Illinois_Quackhead
hunter

Postby lunatic » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:26 pm

Try Camp Pendleton. The base used to allow none military to hunt on base, they may still do it.
"Semper Fi"
lunatic
hunter

Postby wigeon man » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:13 am

blythe (shhhhhhhhh!)
I support PETA...People Eating Tastey Animals
wigeon man
hunter

Postby steelslinger » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:41 pm

If it is not to far of a drive for you I would suggest going to Brawley, it has been a while since I have been out there but we used to slaughter the quail out behind the State Prison out there. Don't ask me for directions, I haven't been out there for 10 years and the directions are sketchy at best.

I agree that Camp Pendleton has some decent upland game hunting. Out on the edge of the Whiskey area there was always some good dove hunting. The bad part is that the Whiskey area is rarely open for hunting due to training. You will definitely be able to kill some good ducks on Pendleton. Wide variety of both puddlers and divers. I had a great time hunting out there on the San Margarita River. Both upper and lower hold some good birds. Lower end has 4 different areas sectioned off for hunts (blinds) and the upper is pretty much spot hunting. They also used to have around 6 blinds on the ponds that are on the first road left as you enter the base but don't know if that is still huntable.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Return to Upland Game