Duck Hunting Forum banner

Good and cheap over/under shotgun

10K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  California Sprig 
#1 ·
Looking for an over under gun I can take with me to college and pheasant hunt. I'll be in Pullman, WA so most my time will be hunting pheasant. Not looking for anything special. Any good but cheap over/unders?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Good and cheap when it comes to o/u's are kinda a oxymoron. If you are looking for cheap upland why not consider a pump. You can get pretty good pumps cheap.

#5 ·
Cheap is what in $$$$?

Cabela's has Weatherby Orion for $899.99
with chrome chamber & bore.

I would stay with these ones: However you need to figure out which shotgun FITS you best.

Browning Citori
Berreta
Weatherby
Winchester 101
SKB 590

You do not have to buy new, gun broker often has them at decent prices.

Also think about steel shot, most pheasant release site are now non-toxic shot only.

#10 ·
A great and fun shooting O/U I picked up a year ago is the Franchi Instinct SL. The SL model will run you about $1200 and the L model is around $1000. I picked up my SL for $1100 last year and I absolutely love it. For upland and early teal it is great. I bought the 20 gauge but they also make it in a 12. Honestly this is has been one of the most pleasant surprise guns of my life. I really love shooting it.

#11 ·
CHEAP……….that's what folk's want today……….that's why we have so many crap guns in the market.

#12 ·
Re the Stoeger Condors. I've handled a few, though I've never actually shot one. But as far as first hand experience, I have personally witnessed five of them literally fall apart in the shooters hands after a shot. The bottom line is that particular gun may be cheap, but it ain't good.

As has been said, the You're going to spend $900 plus for a decent o/u. Look around and handle as many as you can. Then save your money and buy the one that fits.

Frank

#13 ·
There is one major problem with my Condor. It puts birds in the freezer faster than I can eat them. I am running out of room and will soon need to buy another freezer. Other than that, I have no problems with my Condor. I would question how well the owner maintains the gun if it falls apart in his hand. It does not matter how much you spend if you do not take care of it.

#14 ·
The thing I don't like about the stoeger's is that they are a brick with a barrel. I find them cumbersome. I have a 20 ga Tristar that I have been using for waterfowl for about 8 years and it is holding up well. I just bought a Stevens 555 but the jury is still out because I don't have enough rounds through it......

#16 ·
the American Tactical Cavalry are great low cost O/U's bought one last season for my daughter and I can not find one issue with it in any way. Fit and finish is great, Nice wood but only has basic oil finish. shoots great and comes with 5 choke tubes. the weight and balance is good and the trigger pull is nice. I was not expecting such a nice gun for $450. No would not trade any of my 725's of CG's for one but I am likely to buy another one. Much better gun that the tristar and Stoeger as far as I can see and I have owned pretty much all of the cheap O/U's but only kept the AT.

#17 ·
Mossberg tends to be the cheapest and I have friends that swear they are a great gun. To me a good gun has to fit me and be reliable enough to crank 500-600 shots a week. Mossies tend to go for around $500 also, Cheap as in? Cheap for guns my family buys runs at about $1,000. The worst thing you can possibly do is buy a shotgun that doesn't fit. I cant stress this enough. Its harder to hit with a gun that doesnt fit. So buy a gun that fits and be happy!! Happy Hunting!!

#18 ·
Look into the Yildz brand. They are carried exclusively by Academy (I think). I have several friends that love theirs. They start around $350.

Another one is the Fausti (imported by Traditions). I have one that I really like. Walmart used to carry them around $600.

#20 ·
I had traded an old Electric guitar for a O/U back in the 80s. I do t remember the price but the guitar was worth about $500. I think it was an Ithica. Don't know if they still around, but I feel ya with no money? It's what I did as a young man back in the day, trade for a shotgun during bird season, trade that for a rifle after a few months for deer, the. After season trade for another guitar to jam all summer!

#21 ·
I got a Lanber on closeout through CDNN. It was something like 550. I have hit more Roosters with that gun, than any other I own. Plus I dont mind dragging it through the woods looking for some grouse. Is the fit and finish amazing? No...but that doesn't bother me none at all.

My friend shoots a Steven 555 and really really likes it.

#26 ·
There is an old saying that goes like this. - Good is not cheap and cheap is not good. So if you want a cheap o/u don't expect "good", expect the best you can get for the money which may be a lot of things but probably not good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.