yellow lab training for upland

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

yellow lab training for upland

Postby rosscoef86 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:28 pm

hey guys, i am getting new yellow lab soon and i was wondering when i should start training for upland and how to go abouts the training. i was also wondering if i should start training for ducks and move to upland or the other way around.. anywhoo just thought i would bring it up for conversation sake..
thanks
rosscoef86
hunter

Postby hatchiecoon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:26 pm

I presume you are doing it yourself. Therefore get a book so you don't do something wrong. I liked Water Dog by Chas Lamb Free but there are others. That's fun but you have to lt them know the difference between play and work, presuming again here that you are going to pet/hunt it.
hatchiecoon
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:26 pm

Water Dog is the best book you can read. As far as upland, the most important thing you can teach is general discipline and obedience. Only way to learn how to work a bird is experience in the field.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:31 pm

We have a black lab and she was trained for upland bird first by a trainer when she was about 6 months old. She stayed with him for 3 months. My husband would go out with them after the first month to work with her too and so he could learn what he was doing. He trained her for duck on his own. She is a great all around bird dog and a great family dog.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Postby merrile » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:07 am

My dog was taught upland first by a trainier as well. She was late in the game but has progressed really well. The duck stuff was a cinch. Just becarefull distinguishing the difference between water fowl hunting and upland. The dog will tend to break when he or she sees birds. Likely you will want them to mark the retrieve on command for ducks. good luck enjoy the pup!
Just shoot it!
merrile
hunter

Postby Scully » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:23 pm

Stick to a solid program like smartwork or fowl dawgs and teach to quarter after force fetch and handling training are complete.
Scully
hunter

Postby Escopeton » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:34 pm

George Hickox has a good series on teaching the upland flushing dog. Get the basic obedience down and you can teach both waterfowl and upland hunting to the dog. Labs can do it all.

Other books to look at;

10 Minute Retriever by the Dahls.
Game Dog by wolters (leave the time line alone.)
Living large in the southwest.
Escopeton
hunter

Postby JDiPerrio » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:07 am

I have a new yellow lab that is only 3months old and I started he with basic ob and starting her with the bird training now after reading the book gun dog by Wolters.
JDiPerrio
hunter

Return to Upland Game