Here turkey turkey turkey

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Here turkey turkey turkey

Postby HonkShooter » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:26 pm

Hey....I'm just wondering what kind of shells you guys use for shooting these things. I know I have to go and pattern but any certain types that most people like or ones to stay away from? Thanks.

Joe
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby firebird » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:17 pm

I bought a box of 3" copper plated number 6 lead shot for my 12 gauge. The first turkey I shot was at 12 yards, don't ask what his head looked like, he didn't have one left. The second was at 23 yards with nearly identical results. So I guess I was overloaded, I'm curious to see what the turkey gurus say...
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:27 pm

Lead 5s are great. I used hevishot out of my 20 ga and Tungsten Matrix in my 12. I hunt public ground that requires non tox and steel just didn't pattern tight enough for me to be comfortable. Kent lead shot is some good stuff, but I am partial to 3" lead 5s. Have shot them with 2 3/4 lead 6s (pheasant loads), but I like to kill them close.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Upland Game