Vest alternative- strap style vest or bag belt?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Vest alternative- strap style vest or bag belt?

Postby Brent » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:16 am

Hello:

I'm tired of tearing up standard orange vests with shells loops and they seem to bother my neck anyway.

Filson and many others offer game bags- a leather belt with a game bag in the back and shells bags on the side. Filson and many others also offer the strap vests that look like they would be more comfortable than a conventional vest.

Has anyone had experience with either of the alternatives to traditional vests? Could you let me know what you think of your choice and what you like about it?

Thanks in advance-

Brent
Brent
hunter

vest

Postby DUKHNTR58 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:31 am

I went to a cabelas 4 in 1 coat, zip off sleeves & liner for warm days, lots of pockets. I like it a lot. My cousin has a belt with bags & he seems to like it.
DUKHNTR58
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:42 pm

I have strap style, full vests and belt styles and all have a valid place. The strap style vests (I have a Filson like you mentioned) are easily adjustable to fit over various layers of clothing and are not cumbersome at all. If it is fairly cold it will fit over a field coat (I don't use an upland jacket). The only thing about the waxed cotton on your back is they can be hot for early season dove hunts. When it's warm I normally use my belt style game bag and like the fact that the weight of the shells is on my hips instead of my shoulders...great for long walks in the quail woods. When it gets a little cooler I love my Cabela's upland vest as it has plenty of storage, side loading game bag and other great features...plus it is warm when worn over a Columbia upland shirt over the top of a good undershirt.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Upland Game