Dog Help!

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Dog Help!

Postby John Sojka » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:04 am

Guys I have a 3 year old Field Spaniel that only started unting last season.
He is great retrieving dummies and he has been very good flushing BIRDS!
BUT He just will not pick up a dead Bird he finds it but will not pick it up!
I know he is older but does anyone have any suggestions?

This goes for ducks as well he will retieve dummies from the boat like it he is in heaven but will not grap a dead bird.
He has never been pecked by a wounded bird???

Looking for suggestions!!!!
Thanks!
John Sojka
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:20 am

force fetch training
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby John Sojka » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:09 pm

Thanks for the help!
I will look into this force fetch!
Thanks Again.
John Sojka
hunter

Postby Flybumjosh » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:00 am

what kind of dummy do you use? If you haven't ever used bird wings or full skins on your dummies or even frozen birds give it a shot. If it's an older dog like you said it might just need to get more aquainted with having feathers in it's mouth instead of rubber and canvas. Give that a try if you haven't. You might need to force break'm but I'd much rather have them do it because they want to and love it. Good luck!
Flybumjosh
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:35 am

Take him to a trainer and do a forced to fetch. You could also attach some wings with the feathrs intact to a bumper.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby gunhills » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:56 am

:huh: have you tried the duck & pheasant foam type dummies which are the same size weight as the real thing get it used to them. Then attach real wings tail feathers etc & add artifical scent get it used to that then drop the real thing out but don't make it a long retrieve & get the dog it to you as fast as you can & if it brings it back really make a big fuss of them :thumbsup: I've done this on a couple of dogs I helped train up for other people. Also 1 of the labs would retrieve game from thick cover & water but but would not pick them if they fell in the open it just went out sniffed them then sat next to it but as it matured it would pick anything. I've never forced retrieve for any dog. Iv....... :hi:
gunhills
hunter

Postby 2dogs1949 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:23 am

Find a field spaniel club and seek their advice. In the spaniel world, force fetch may not be the answer. I have an AWS and have not force fetched him and probably never will.
I would try putting the bird in his mouth and hold his snout all the while telling him hold. Start with a 5 seconds and work up from there. When he will hold it until you take it, then move to fetching it up at his feet and holding it and slowly increase the distance. Make the session short and always end on a positive. Get James Spencers book HUP, Training Flushing Spaniels. Good luck.
2dogs1949
hunter

Postby englishsetter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:16 pm

if u want to teach hold i suggest u get a dowel put it in the dogs mouth behind the canines and make sure the dogs lips are not caught between the dowel and the teeth/roof of the mouth. say hold. if the dog will not hold it in its mouth (which it prob won't) make sure the dowel stays in the mouth by putting your index finger under the groove under the skin under the jaw. this will tilt the dogs head up then lift up on the scruff of the neck all the while saying hold just a tug on the scruff will do this causes the dogs mouth to close around the dowel. if the dog drops it say NO sharply and sternly pick up the dowel (make sure its not covered in dirt or anything) and put it back in the dogs mouth say "hold" *note this is after you have put the dowel back in the mouth u say hold. lift up on the scruff and keep the finger in the groove tilting the dogs head up SLIGHTLY. only pull up on the scruff of the neck if the dog is about to drop the dowel. give the dog a chance to hold though. eventually u can walk away (baby steps though) and tap on the dowel LIGHTLY with your fingers and if the dog drops it say NO sternly this is all after the dog is holding the dowel for a little bit. by walking away or tapping on the dowel you are enticing the dog to drop the dowel just keep overlaying the hold command.

i use a training table elevating the dog helps alot the dog is atached to a chord that runs perpendicular with the table and is tied off on a rope running from tree to tree (the table is inbetween two trees) this rope is parallell to the surface of the table. thier needs to be enough room for the perpendicular rope to slide along the parralell rope. the table is 12 feet long and held up by sawhorses.

after the dog holds you can then work the toe hitch and begin to teach fetch but this is done very slowly the dog MUST hold every time no problem no matter what is going on around him (within reason obviously)

let me know if you want any info on the fetch process because hold truly is the first step and is a solid foundation and a key part of force fetching
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Return to Upland Game