phesant

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

good idea

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes : 12

phesant

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:39 pm

for years my favorite thing to shot is anything flying away but phesant was the first thing i killed in my life (with a bow when i was 8, it got out of the cage and my dad was in china on business so i didnt know what to do)

the only problem is i have no land to hunt it on anymore and cant afford to pay for it and that isnt asmuch fun anyways, but resntly i have gained acess to a 300 acre grass fielf, with a corn field about the same size on one side and only trees every where else with in .25 miles or so in one direction and miles in anyother, but it has few phesents. I am thinking of releasing some every coule of years maybe 50 the first year and then 20 after that.

dose anyone think that they will stay or be able to survive in that size field or will this not work?

how many do you think i should release and how often?
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Kurt » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:33 am

pen raised pheasants are stupid and predators will get them before they even have a chance to reproduce. If you are going to do that just release them and then shoot them other wise you will be wasting your money.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby realtown12 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:05 pm

I've read about the Surrogator (sp?) you can google it and find more information, it looks like it raises chicks without human interaction and then releases them at 5 weeks old or something like that. also I would check on the legality of this product in your state...
Let's see what the day brings.
realtown12
hunter

Postby spoonerlab » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:37 pm

i heard that if you release them release them at night and in pairs so that they will roost at night with an opposite sex bird. If anyone knows different please correct me thats just what i have heard
spoonerlab
hunter

Postby carsonr2 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:59 pm

Make sure you don't need a permit to do any type of bird releasing in MI. You may have to contact the dnr first.

Our family had a farm bordered by a pheasant farm in SW MI, and the birds just created an abundance of predators. The population never really seemed to increase due to the pheasant farm.

If you can manage the habitat they will come on there own.
carsonr2
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:29 am

Preaditor controll is key. Ferral cats, coyotes, racoons, and skunks, really take their toll on pheasant populations.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:17 am

I'm with Carson. habitat is the key. "If you build it, they will come!"
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby ksduckslayer » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:42 pm

This would probably only increase the #'s temporarily. I had a neighbor with 800 acres of grass and milo, (Mosly Grass), farmed for pheasents. He tried the same thing like 8 times?? Never worked, Never got really cold either.
Cant wait for it to get cold.....
ksduckslayer
hunter

Postby Canned Heat » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:11 pm

Sadly, predators will get the better share of them if not taken out.....completely. However, a good share of the birds that make it thru a winter wise up pretty quick and can usually hold their own if not overhunted, predated, or move off to a better location. You can conceivably hold birds in that size of acreage, but you'll spend alot of blood, sweat, and tears getting it done. Make sure you have the best cover, food, and water anywhere around or you'll be fighting a losing battle.

Your best bet would be to plant 'em and then take 'em, as mentioned. You may end up in the poor house by the time you have what you want there.

Good luck either way.
Reality is a great place....I just wouldn't want to live there.
Canned Heat
hunter

Return to Upland Game