how to hunt quail

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

how to hunt quail

Postby BB12 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:26 am

I live down here in nevada and there are quail everywhere california and gambels. but i was wondering how do you hunt them. Do you use a call and locate them or do you just walk around and get lucky any advice would be helpful. thanks
BB12
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:15 am

I hunt Ca Quail early in the season by just locating water. During Sept. when there has not been any rain in awhile water is scarce, so if I find it, I find Quail. I have occasionally run across them in Nov. while Turkey hunting, then I just switch rounds and bust the covey, then I chase down singles and pairs.

Finding the Quail is the hardest part, when you know where a covey lives it's all fun from there.

Oh and you do not need a lot of water to have Quail, I've busted coveys in cover where the nearest thing to water appears to be but a mud hole.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby colemanhuntsducks » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:59 am

it helps to have a good dog to locate an hold coveys until you can catch up an flush them post this on the nevada forum an see if some of the local guys can help ya out.
colemanhuntsducks
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:20 am

As with any game bird, quail like certain areas more than others.

Generally the low lands with lots of cover,food and water.

You can just walk through areas and pick up birds now and then, but a dog is really needed for upland game, to help prevent lost birds and to locate them.

If you don't have a dog, try to find some one that will take you out, with them.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:15 pm

Oh and Coveys don't move to far. If you've found one chances are they live in the nearby area, mark that spot in your mind and do a good search of the area looking over any thick cover.

A dog would help tremendously but not everyone has one, I have found if your willing to put in some miles in some crazy terrain you can get any bird.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby birddoging » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:19 pm

I agree with Sagebrush on everything.
You should get a well trained bird-dog because you will lose birds.
I pass on many shots with quail because of certain brush, berries,etc that I hunt around,even with my pointers.

What area are you hunting around?

They do make quail calls that are easy to use.
You can do that in early mornings to get them calling and then you have an idea where to hunt.
I do it sometimes just for fun while waiting for shooting time and it seems to get them calling back.
I also practice in my backyard where I have at least 50 quail running around. That's Nevada!
If it's not a bird dog it's just a dog!
birddoging
hunter

Postby Naturegirl » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:28 pm

I've been going on quail hunts for years with my husband, but just started really hunting them myself this year and finally got my first last weekend.

We have a dog and I've been out with her and without her. The biggest advantage of taking her is she finds the downed birds a lot easier than I do as they blend in so good.

We usually go out with a few people and walk about 40 or so feet apart from each other in a straight line. Unless they are holding really tight (when dog comes in even handier), this will usually get them to flush.

A quail call comes in handy when you do bust a covey because than after they settle down you can call and they will call back, which lets you know their general direction. Although, I didn't have a call last weekend and if you wait about 15ish minutes they usually start calling to each other so they can regroup, which helps you locate them.

I've found they are generally located in the near vicinity of water, but not always. They like hilly terrain more than flats for the most part. They also use really small washes as their preferred "roads."

It's a lot of work compared to dove, but it is really fun. I've been a lot of times before I actually started shooting myself and finally got my first quail last weekend.
Naturegirl
Naturegirl
hunter

Return to Upland Game