Grouse Slam

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Grouse Slam

Postby Tealer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:35 pm

I am interest in shooting a griuse slam and am wondering where in the US the best place to find huntable populations of Sage and Spruce grouse? Would like to to get a pair of each mounted for a coffee table.
Any thoughts or recomendations on a guide or location?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Old Wanderer » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:37 pm

I think the sage will be the tough one with the 2 days season in a lot of locations.

If you include Prairie Chicken, the doable, but not easy..

If you are really picky there is one other part of the grouse family that is only found in the Ruby mountains above 10,000' out of Elko, NV. The Himalain Snow Cock...I worked my but off, and finally got one (when they were open to residents only...BUT, it dropped 3,000' and splattered on some rocks...the taxidermist could not mount it.

Good luck
Old Wanderer
hunter

Postby desert setter » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:43 pm

I shot the Utah Grand Slam a year ago, being ruffed, blue, sage, and sharptail. This was the last year of the first come first serve tags and I missed out on my sage and sharpie tags but was able to help a buddy complete the same slam this year. Our sage and sharpie tags are going to a draw system, and I am not sure wether they will be open to non res hunters? These same 4 birds could be taken in Wyoming rather easy as tags are all over the counter.
S.F.F.S. (setters forever forever setters)
desert setter
hunter

Return to Upland Game