Quail or Pheasant

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Quail or Pheasant

Postby nharold » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:26 pm

I've never hunted quail and would like to try.I have a good gsp. if someone would like to hunt with a dog.I'm in Illinois but will drive where ever it takes as I have free time. If anyone wants to pheasant hunt let me know also.
Bird hunter and bowhunter
nharold
hunter

Postby IlHunter » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:19 pm

where in illinois r u located?
IlHunter
hunter

Ill

Postby nharold » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:54 pm

I'm in DeKalb.It's 60 miles west of Chicago.
nharold
hunter

Postby IlHunter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:29 am

i go to school at northern. i dont have any land that holds any pheasants or quail but there is state ground near kewanee illinois its called johnson's sauk trail. they release pen raised birds everyday, and there is a draw to get in but you can register early on the internet and your guaranteed a spot. it costs fifteen, ive been there the past two years but weve actually shot more rabbits than pheasants. but everyone says its near impossible to find much without a dog. the only thing is my dad told me yesterday that he heard the governor closed it down december first. im not sure if its true or not but if not in two weeks ill be home for christmas break if your interested.
IlHunter
hunter

hunting

Postby nharold » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:22 am

Sure,let me know if it's still going.
nharold
hunter

Postby IlHunter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:32 pm

there is also a club in morris, if your willing to pay 20 a bird and three bird minimum ive never been there but im considering paying the money this year especially if johnsons closed
IlHunter
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:42 pm

If you want some real pheasant hunting just come to south dakota. So many wild birds that it is like driving through a mine field mornings and evenings. And more public ground than you could walk in a life time. Or just go to the pheasnat farm buy a couple for 15 bucks each throw them in the air and shoot. Might as well go to trap range if you are going to shoot pen raised birds.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby IlHunter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:47 pm

kurt, is there a lot of state ground to hunt in south dakota. i graduate in a year and ever since ive been a kid ive wanted to go see what pheasant hunting in south dakota is like. but ive been looking at clubs and outfitters and its really expensive. i just looked at one that was like 900 for three days.
IlHunter
hunter

Postby Kurt » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:31 pm

More state ground in the mobridge area where i live then you could walk in a life time and more pheasants than we know what to do with. It is $100 for a ten day out of state license and then you just need room and board. if you have a good dog and not afraid of a little walking you will get your birds. If i would recomend a time to come mid december is the best all the fair weather people have went home all the crops are out of the fields and there is a chance of a little snow and that is when it really gets fun. You have to use steel on all state land so bring the 2s with. As a bonus you have a really good chance of shooting a few grouse to the license is good for both. Those are always fun to get in to.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby IlHunter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:53 pm

thanks kurt hopefully one of these years ill make it out there
IlHunter
hunter

hunting

Postby nharold » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:34 am

Thanks for the info Kurt.I was wondering if SD had a lot of public land.I think I'll try it.
nharold
hunter

Return to Upland Game