Outfitter Help

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Outfitter Help

Postby AAR » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I wanted to see if I could find some help? I'm looking to set up a father-son hunt in Kansas for prairie chickens, but would like to go after the Lesser and Greater prairie chickens on the hunt. I know we'd have to travel around a little to get on both, but man that sounds like it would be an awesome hunt! So would anyone know of someone that could possibly do a hunt like this? The main thing is to find someone who could take us to the Southwest part of the state for the Lessers, but if an option to get greaters was there, we certainly wouldn't turn it down.

Thanks,

Eric

Schmidte217@yahoo.com
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:03 pm

Schmite, welcome to the site.

I don't have any help for you, on the praire chicken outfitter. But, I did grow up in southwest Kansas. I only remember hunting them a few times growing up. I believe that i have only shot one in my life.

I do still have a few contacts back in the very southwest corner of the state, west of Liberal. I don't know of any specific outfitters, but I could maybe get you in contact with one or two people that could get you onto some birds.

Most of what I hunted growing up there, was Pheasant and Quail. I don't know much about the praire chickens. Dark meat, is all that I remember, looked like liver.

I will try to get in touch with some folks back there, and see what i can come up with.

When are you thinking of going back. I have been out here in california for about 7yrs, and have wanted to make a trip back in nov. to hunt in sw ks. Was thinking this might be the year.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:05 pm

Forgot to add, Scroll down and find the Kansas Forum. If you ask this question there, You might get some more info.

Although from what I can tell, most of the fellas there are in eastern or central KS. Wichita being the farthest west for anyone. But I could be wrong.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby firebird » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:32 am

Check the Fish and Game websites for that state and also bordering states that may offer some help for you.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Don't know much about Kansas but...

Postby hood » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:28 am

Me and some buds are going to Winner, South Dakota in November for pheasants, sharptail grouse and greater prairie chickens. I know there aren't any lessers up there but the sharptails look to be just as challenging. If you're interested in a guide up there, the place I'm going is called Schuyler Ranch. Looks like a fair deal, $200/day for three species and guy SAYS he has loaded of sharptails and chickens, think its on 8-10,000 acres. I hope its good, this is first time we've ever hunted out-of-state and we're rednecks from middle georgia!
hood
hunter

Return to Upland Game