Dove choke

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Dove choke

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm using a PM extended for geese, a Kicks high flyer IC for ducks. Is there a good brand of chokes for dove? Was thinking of kicks maybe a Kicks high flyer mod or full for dove.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Dove choke

Postby 3200 man » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:28 pm

All of the chokes you describe have waterfowl constrictions for steel shot mainly but the ones that you assume are
marked Mod or Full would be as tight as you would need for lead shot and shooting doves ! :yes: :thumbsup:
3200 man
hunter

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:34 pm

3200 man wrote:All of the chokes you describe have waterfowl constrictions for steel shot mainly but the ones that you assume are
marked Mod or Full would be as tight as you would need for lead shot and shooting doves ! :yes: :thumbsup:

I know that is why I said the mod and full being they would be like mod for the full and IC for the mod.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:04 pm

Swamp -- It depends on the type of dove hunting you do and the typical range of your shots. Feed fields, pass shooting on tree rows, water hole shooting, roost shooting, etc. Skeet chokes are good for close shooting to about 25 yards, IC chokes are usually good to about 35 yards, Mods to about 45 yards and Full if you need to reach out farther. Pattern density is all important to dove shooting since their vital areas are small.

A choke that can put about 250 #8 or #7.5s in the pattern at the distance you shoot should be more than sufficient for dove killing! Not any one particular brand is better than the other, its more important to find out what the choke constriction is in your barrel. If you aren't willing to shoot a few patterns with your choke and ammo at the distance you shoot, then just shoot what you like.

Here are a few of my 12ga pattern numbers to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get with quality target loads. Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

30 YARDS / SK
Win AA Heavy 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (377 pellets) / pattern 253 (67%)
Rem Premier STS 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (408 pellets) / pattern 290 (71%)

30 YARDS / IC
Win AA Heavy 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (377 pellets) / pattern 324 (86%)
Rem Premier STS 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (408 pellets) / pattern 328 (80%)

40 YARDS / M
Win AA Heavy 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (377 pellets) / pattern 285 (76%)
Rem Premier STS 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (408 pellets) / pattern 293 (72%)

40 YARDS / F
Win AA Heavy 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (377 pellets) / pattern 299 (79%)
Rem Premier STS 2 ¾” 1 1/8 oz #7 ½ lead (408 pellets) / pattern 321 (79%)

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Joe thank you man
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:48 am

Good illustration JH , which shows the pattern efficiency of your factory tubes with quality ammo !
Beware of less expensive with poorer quality control as the shot is softer so set-back can be a issue . There again in most
Dove shoots when more shells are being shot , fellas tend to purchase a lead-idem shell which is of the economy kind .
A choke constriction of .015 really is a good starting point , it will give you good range and not handicap you when close
shots are offered . The thing to remember is , it only takes a pellet or two to put down a Dove so a more open pattern
can be a advantage to your success !
3200 man
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:01 am

For most dove shooting an IC choke will be perfect or MOD at the tightest is all you will need. 4 weeks ago I was in Argentina shooting doves for a week with a Benelli Montefeltro 20ga with IC and had absolutely no issues all week- even with fairly high or distant birds on one windy as heck afternoon (I did not need or miss having a MOD choke and killed over 320 birds in less than 3 hours with a 20+mph wind). Yes, doves have small vital areas but they are pretty fragile birds and with a good load of #7-1/2 or 8 you will be just fine with an open choke. Unlike waterfowl with large steel that are temperamental to pattern small lead shot typically isn't as finicky.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:25 pm

apexhunter wrote:For most dove shooting an IC choke will be perfect or MOD at the tightest is all you will need. 4 weeks ago I was in Argentina shooting doves for a week with a Benelli Montefeltro 20ga with IC and had absolutely no issues all week- even with fairly high or distant birds on one windy as heck afternoon (I did not need or miss having a MOD choke and killed over 320 birds in less than 3 hours with a 20+mph wind). Yes, doves have small vital areas but they are pretty fragile birds and with a good load of #7-1/2 or 8 you will be just fine with an open choke. Unlike waterfowl with large steel that are temperamental to pattern small lead shot typically isn't as finicky.

Just a question , what was the manufacture of the shells you shot down there ?
Surely a better ammo than I have used in Mexico ? light weight Beretta's is what we got to shoot with IC or mod chokes
but I still had several birds with wads stuck in them....hehee .
3200 man
hunter

Return to Upland Game