Going to try turkey hunting

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Going to try turkey hunting

Postby devildog28 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Which type of call is the easiest to use? Box, slate, or diaphragm? I just need a couple decoys right?
devildog28
hunter

turkey calls

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:18 pm

A box call is definitely the easiest if you are just getting started. But also, buy a diaphragm call and practice a lot, once you get good with one, that is all you will use. Two decoys should be fine, although you dont have to have them to kill turkeys. When i go hunting i take two diaphragm calls, one loud and one soft and raspy, my gun and three shells in it. I like to move a lot, and dont want any extra items to carry along, or get in the way while belly crawling.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby chinogoose » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:52 am

+ 1 on that Jarbo03 i do take a hen decoy that i can fold up and put in my vest if i have to move. I practice a lot with those diaphragm call and every ones has there own style so if you can go out and listen to turkeys that should help you with what sounds they make if not you can always go to Youtube. Good luck :thumbsup: 37 more days for Turkey opener
chinogoose
hunter

turkey

Postby DeepDuckn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:19 am

Ya both are right and Box would be the easiest to get the handle of. Diaphragms work the best. Also one small hen will usually do the trick to brings in the big boys. Also travel light because you may want to move to a new location if that happens.
DeepDuckn
Newb

Re: Going to try turkey hunting

Postby JDiPerrio » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:51 pm

One more month for me till the opener, the farm I hunt i dont need dekes or calls they jus ome in but if i was you i would set a hen out with a jake right behind her looking like he is gonna take her and then just a box call is the easiest to learn but once you get better change to the diaphragm cause it takes up no hands to use. Good luck and be safe out there it is alot different then any other hunting. :thumbsup:

John
2010 totals
Geese- 70
Mallards-24
Pintail-1
Teal-8
Woodies-9
Ringneck-1
JDiPerrio
hunter

Return to Upland Game