Shots at roosters before flush?

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Shots at roosters before flush?

Postby JimboPDX » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:56 pm

I am fairly new to pheasant hunting and usually hunt alone and without a birddog as I am now to the sport. This week I shot my first pheasant of the season. :salude: Yesterday, I saw five roosters, shot at three flushed birds and hit/killed one. Ok so the shooting skills are a bit rusty so after I shoot a round or two of sporting clays I am going to go back out on Saturday.

So here are my questions:

1) As I was bush-whacking into some deep-dark-thickets I saw a rooster holding up 15 yards away. I could have taken it with a clean headshot ala turkey hunting style but didn’t know the protocols of pheasant hunting. Is this sporting, ethical, and accepted, in pheasant hunting circles?

2) As I was working some edges (corn along grass, grass along hedgerows, ect.) I would see roosters running away with no means for me to block them. I easily could have shot one with a clean shot on a rooster before it had flushed, but did not. once again, is it sporting, ethical, and accepted to put the hammer down on a rooster before it has flushed?

Guys, thanks for your guidance.

Cheers,
Fins, feathers, or fur....it's going down!
JimboPDX
hunter

Postby ActionPoint » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:25 am

In my experience it is viewed as an unacceptable practice by the pheasant hunting community as a whole. There are people that do it, but you will find that most pheasant hunters actually seem shocked or get angry when they see people do it. I would definitely say it's not something you want to do around someone elses dog or as a guest with another hunting party. I won't shoot a bird on the ground and I let the people I guide or hunt with know that under no circumstances are running birds to be shot at when we're working my dog. But that was just how I was raised and how I was taught by the old timers that showed me the game. I'm sure if my main goal was to bag a bird, and circumstances dictated that I have to shoot running birds I would look at it much differently. But for me the flush is one of the main focuses of the hunt. You are responsible for your own decisions when it comes to ethics in the field and ultimately it is up to you to decide. If your just starting out or are hunting an area with a very limited number of birds then there is no reason to be ashamed to take every opportunity you get to shoot a bird. Eventually you will come to a crossroads in which you'll decide how much time, effort, and money you want to dedicate to pheasant hunting and I'm sure your attitudes and opinions will change a little bit. It will take some time, but get yourself a good dog and some more experience and you'll be able to turn some of those runners into flushers.
ActionPoint
Banned

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:42 am

I basically agree with what Actionpoint is saying...it's called "wingshooting" for a reason, and by shooting a bird on the ground you risk hitting your hunting partner, dog, blowing a bird to bits, ect.

However, there have been occasions when I felt it was ethical and shot birds on the ground.....I was dogless, by myself, and I was tracking the bird (in the snow) for quite some time. Each time I would try and flush the bird, it would run or sneak off......after getting frustrated and ground swatting the bird, I found that they had broken wings from previous encounter with a hunter. I have had this happen with me 4 times in the past with pheasants and grouse. Usually a relatively rare occurance, but I hunt state land that is heavily hunted.
I will add, however, that I don't do this anymore.....I now have canine assistance and she will get the birds that don't fly.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Shots before fluch

Postby JimboPDX » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:24 am

Guys, thanks for being a great sounding board. I totally agree with you and deep down I think I knew the answer, otherwise I would have taken the shots but did not. Thanks for keeping me on the up-n-up!

Cheers,

Jimbo
Fins, feathers, or fur....it's going down!
JimboPDX
hunter

Postby bushwacking » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:06 pm

i know a guy that did it and shot his dog in the butt but u dont have to worry about that
quack quack boom

bushwacking
bushwacking
hunter

Postby cinrds » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:18 pm

I agree with the others nothing to add.
Jesus replied, "I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever be hungry again. Those who believe in me will never thirst. John 6:35
cinrds
hunter

Postby spencerusmc » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:34 pm

I had a buddy that had his dog shot (and killed it i might add) by a guy that was invited on this trip, and the way i was raised on hunting, it is completly unacceptable to shoot at birds on the ground.
spencerusmc
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:24 am

Well im just a redneck from the boondocks so i got a little different view
:If i need the meat then its going in the game bag but if im hunting with a dog.....BIG NO NO..... if im hunting with someone then i would say no cus with two people it not considered far chase. Get-er-dun
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:14 pm

i Kansas the only bird you can legally shot off the ground is a turkey. It is illegal to take birds off the ground
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Return to Upland Game