New Upland mounts

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

New Upland mounts

Postby AAR » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:05 pm

Got a chance to put together a few upland birds from this past season recently. The Woodcock was the first one I had ever shot or had the opportunity to shoot. I'll admit that I had MANY misses and rejumps on this bird by shooting at the wrong times. I had seen him fly into some brush while sneaking up on some ducks, figured he wouldn't go anywhere in the minute or two I would be involved on the ducks. Ended up going after him but without a dog and couldn't find him or get him to jump. Went back to the truck and tried again with a friend and his lab. Moral of the story, woodcock hunting without a dog is probably not going to typically end well.

The reddish color of the bird really came out well in this pic I think..

Scaled quail down here are like the deer, you have to have a ranch to hunt on and they are predominantly for deer and you can only hunt quail before or after the deer season. Plus the fact that the owners are used to the trophy buck money makes it hard to get anything for less than unreasonable. Cool thing about them is the chestnut patch they have on their bellies and how the blue is more intense than the one's in say Arizona/New Mexico/Texas Panhandle. The concept with the poses was to show the nice chestnut belly of the male on the left and the female on the right. Also when your talking about scaled quail other than these the main separation between the sexes lies in the throat.

The trio on the right is from extreme southwest Kansas and the left trio taken near Laredo,TX. I wish the distinction between the two types had shown better in the picture but still not too hard to see I hope.

Still have a Lesser Prairie Chicken and a couple Kansas pheasants for this year's upland and the wait for september and the hopeful Alaska trip follows.

Eric
It's not just a bird mount, it's a Schmitty Bird Mount
AAR
Forum Moderator

Re: New Upland mounts

Postby Decoycarver1 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:28 pm

Eric,
They all look great. Do you have pen raised quail ?
Im looking for some quail singles to use as painting reference for my carvings.
Bob
Tie your own flies
Carve your own decoys
Decoycarver1
hunter

Postby AAR » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:02 pm

I have some bobwhite's from a trip down here I believe. Think that is the only type of quail I currently have. Let me know if that might help :thumbsup:

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Postby Decoycarver1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:27 am

Eric,
Yes the Bob white is definately one im interested in .
Eventually id like them all for reference .
Id like one in simple relaxed standing pose. with close attention to realism in form and attitude and feather placement .
My email is RJM6254069@charter.net
Contact me there for paticulars.
Thanks
Bob Mitchell
Tie your own flies
Carve your own decoys
Decoycarver1
hunter

Postby desert setter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:10 pm

Great looking mounts! The woodcock base is very origional and looks fantastic. What state was the woodcock shot in?
S.F.F.S. (setters forever forever setters)
desert setter
hunter

Postby AAR » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Thanks for the compliments :thumbsup: Woodcock was shot here in TX, about an hour southwest of Houston.

Eric
AAR
Forum Moderator

Return to Upland Game