pigeon hunting

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

pigeon hunting

Postby nealhunt61 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:26 pm

Has anyone heard of the new decoy company "soar no more". they make pigeon decoys and ive watched some of there hunting clips and it looks like a ton of fun. they actually decoy just like ducks. has anyone done this kind of hunting before??
nealhunt61
Newb

Re: pigeon hunting

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:40 pm

No i just go by the old grain elavator and shoot them the cats almost get them things before they even hit the ground.
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby slothman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:12 pm

Is there actually a pigeon season in some places? What do you do with them after you kill them? Do you eat them? Are they any good?
The glass is not half empty or half full, it's just twice as big as it needs to be.

If you miss a lot of birds, does that make you a conservationist?
slothman
hunter

Postby cjg » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Ever heard of squab?
cjg
hunter

Postby slothman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:34 pm

cjg wrote:Ever heard of squab?

No, what is that?
The glass is not half empty or half full, it's just twice as big as it needs to be.

slothman
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Fri May 01, 2009 11:51 am

slothman wrote:
cjg wrote:Ever heard of squab?

No, what is that?

IIRC it is young pigeon. Pigeon's are more or less just a big dove.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby sagethemaster » Fri May 01, 2009 11:35 pm

Ya, i have pigeon hunted for years. its the best training that a young bird dog can get. i use the soar no more decoys myself for the pigeon hunting i do, and yes i do use spinners and a combination is deadly. the fun part is theres no season, no limits and no rules. shooting them out of barns and places like that are no fun, you have to decoy them to have some fun. ive killed 9 bands so far, but if you havent done it, you have to try it!
sagethemaster
Newb

Postby slothman » Mon May 04, 2009 5:43 pm

I have never heard about a pigeon season in Missouri. I don't think you are allowed to hunt them here. Does anybody know otherwise? Can you provide proof if you can hunt them in Missouri?

slothman
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Tue May 05, 2009 10:03 am

slothman wrote:I have never heard about a pigeon season in Missouri.

Because there is no "pigeon season". They are classified as pests, just like wild hogs. Shoot them all year long, no limits!

There should be a phone number in you rules and regulations handbook that you can call to verify.
REDGUN
hunter

Postby slothman » Wed May 06, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

slothman
hunter

Postby lbhntr » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:22 pm

yes they are a nusiance in some areas and fun to shoot ....the ones with bands u shot someones birds .....most likely if u were far from any homes the banded birds were no good anyway they went wild i have racing pigeos also i have had some idiots shoot my birds on my property it sucks cause they flock shoot
lbhntr
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:20 pm

pigeons are officially called rock doves. I have never eaten them but hear they are delicious.

I hunt them a couple times a year to train my bird dog and it is a rip. I highly recommend it. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Ithaca Dog » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:13 am

I read an artical a number of years ago where they hunted pidgeons out of grain fields using stuffed socks(blue, gray, white, ect) in anticipation for duck season. I always wanted to try it but never had the time. They compared it to field hunting ducks. It sounded like a lot of fun. :smile:
Ithaca Dog
hunter

Postby huntingcrazy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:18 pm

sagethemaster wrote:... ive killed 9 bands so far, but if you havent done it, you have to try it!

Don't the bands on pigeons mean that they are somebody's pigeon that they raised in a pigeon coop???
I shot one as a younger guy and it had a band and I got scared that I killed somebody's pet!!!
huntingcrazy
hunter

Postby flroper » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 am

the banded pigeons are some one racing birds that couldnt find there way home
flroper
hunter

Postby Dave L » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:08 pm

We have been shooting pigeons for years , They decoy better than ducks and they are an excellent way to sharpen your wing shooting We have a bunch of pigeon decoys and a couple fliers . We also use roto doves in the spread . This allows you to stay away from farm buildings . A decoy whirly gig works great also. We breast them out and they taste good . It is not uncommon to shoot 50 a day . most farmers are glad to get rid of them . We shoot #7s or #6s for longer shots , Great way to train a youngster to shoot flying birds . The real challenge comes after you have shot at them a few times at a certain farm . They seem to go up a few notches in speed after you shoot at them a couple times.
Dave L
Newb

Return to Upland Game