Turkey troubles

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Turkey troubles

Postby duckmann » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:24 pm

Group,

Went out on Saturday and somehow managed to shoot two turkeys with my bow. . . unfortunately neither were recoverable even after searching through the thick cover for over two hours each. I was severely disappointed and upset to have to leave them wounded so I thought I would post and see what I did wrong.

Bird #1 when hit walked about 30 feet and collapsed but kept its head raised so after about 1/2 an hour I left the blind and she jumped up and ran off. There was a lot of blood and a few feathers BUT no substantial amount of blood on the arrow itself. . . I am guessing that I grazed her?? Also the blood that she initially left stopped once she hit the woods.

Bird #2 is even more frustrating. Beautiful shot at about 15 yards. Arrow sticks in the bird and appears to break his wing. I find arrow and it is covered in blood and there is a fair amount of blood in the area of the hit BUT it quickly ends. I look closely at the blood pool and see small pieces of cracked corn. . . did I hit too high OR too low? I immediately ran after this bird but now wonder if I should have waited like I did with the other??

I suppose in all of this I have learned that the broadside shot my not be the best to take on a turkey and maybe I should next time try a back to shot or front on?? From what I have been reading over the last few days this shot allows a better chance of hitting a vital area.

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:08 pm

Sounds like you hit that second bird in the gullett. The gullett starts at the bottom of the neck and hangs down in front of the breast. Move your shot back a couple inches and you'll get a double lung shot. Are you shooting them at full strut? When they are all puffed up, shot placement can be tricky.

Just my .02
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Full strut. . .

Postby duckmann » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:30 am

No, both shots have been when the birds were not strutting . . . I have been practicing on targets at ranges between 10-15 yards and using decoys to mark my yardage in the field. It just so happens that when those big gobblers come into the field my accuracy goes down hill in all of the excitement. I need to relax for this weekend and move my shot placement back a little bit. I have an index card that shows specifically where to place the shot in a variety of situations BUT it is so different when you are looking at the real thing.

Plan to hunt in the evening over the next several day will keep you posted on the results.

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:57 pm

Good luck!! :salude:
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby newbiewaterfowler » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:30 pm

How about usen the Bo and Luke duke method.One arrow,mixed with one stick of dynamite and properly time fused,,BAM!! it will be raining turkey.

Just messing around.Ive done alot of turkey hunting but never with a bow just wanted to post up and wish you luck,let us know if you succeed..
newbiewaterfowler
hunter

Return to Upland Game