does anyone spear pike through the ice anymore?

Fresh and salt water fishing

Moderators: Dogman, MossyGO!, Kiskadinna, WSUWESTON, Montanafowler

does anyone spear pike through the ice anymore?

Postby flatbottom mudslinger » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:22 am

I have been trying to spear pike through the ice for about 10 years off and on (actually Ive only tried it about 6 or 8 times in that span) and have never got one. I rarely see a fish and when I do something always goes wrong. I get too excited and spook it one way or another. Anyway Im here looking for tips, obviously no one can help me keep my cool, Ill have to control that on my own. What do you look for in setting up a shanty location? I look to for a spot where I can see the bottom on a sunken island, sand bar or drop off, the clearer the water the deeper I go. How do you know what size and color of a decoy to use? I used to use live bait, untill they went up to $3 a piece, then I started catching my own suckers. Now the DNR (department of natural resources) has put a choke on that to prevent the spread of aquatic nusences, Which is why I all but gave up tip-up fishing and am concentrating more on spearing now. Any tips you experienced pike pokers can share will be greatly appreciated. Not many people do it anymore and its hard to find videos or magazine articles on it.
treat every situation like a dog. If you cant eat it or hump it just piss on it and walk away
flatbottom mudslinger
hunter

Re: does anyone spear pike through the ice anymore?

Postby canbakchaser » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:22 pm

why not use hooks pike FIGHT
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Re: does anyone spear pike through the ice anymore?

Postby Ithaca Dog » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:55 pm

I love spearing. I grew up on it in Minnesota, have speared in several states, and now am pissed that I can't do it in Alberta. Tips for spearing. Cut an angle on your hole so you can see further under the ice. Pick a location on a drop off in 6-8 ft of water. I have speared in depths of 15 ft but then it gets hard to stick the fish to the bottom. This is a must if it is big. The best spear holes are 4 to 6 feet wide and 1.5 - 2 feet across. One side of the hole should be 6 ft and the other 8 ft. They will run the drop offs. If you can get next to a weed bed or other structure that is good too. Check your regulations about using a hole brightener. Some people use cut up potatos, egg shells, oyster shell (which you can get at farm stores it is used to for chicken grit I think), I have heard of people who have had really good luck with white marble rock you would use for landscaping. Dump it down the hole and it can make it much easier to see. I used a live decoy in Minnesota along with an artifical, one on each side of the hole. Work the decoy so it spins in a circle. Keep adjusting the hight of the decoys if nothing comes in. You can scout for fish activity with tip-ups and then set up in a good area. If they come in hard and fast don't rush just wait and they will come back. Pike are bullies. They like to come in and terrorize the decoy. As they are sitting underneath you SLOWLY slide your spear into the water until it is a foot or two over the pike. Aim for the gills and aim to miss to the rear if you do. Don't throw the spear. Just drop it or give it a little send off. Don't yank the spear up from the bottom right away. Use a chisle to push the fish into the bottom and then pull it up. Good luck and I hope this helps. I envy you.
Ithaca Dog
hunter

Return to Fishing