steelhead

Postby floating redneck » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 pm

any great lakes steelheaders out there?
"remember im pulling for you, we're all in this together" Red Green
floating redneck
hunter

Re: steelhead

Postby jasper » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:33 pm

Old thread but ya. Lake MI tribs for me. Just took up fly fishing and am determined that my first fish on a fly is a steelhead. It will happen. I have faith.
jasper
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:51 am

jasper wrote:Old thread but ya. Lake MI tribs for me. Just took up fly fishing and am determined that my first fish on a fly is a steelhead. It will happen. I have faith.

Should be steelhead on beds right now in your neck of the woods. They've been on here in N. Indiana, S. Michigan for a week or two. Fun fish to catch. Do you still have Skamania there? Their not stocking the Skamania here anymore. :no: Those are the most fun, they jump like a smallmouth on steroids. Egg sucking leech is a good fly. So are small black nymphs.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:57 pm

I'm pretty sure they still stock the skamania's up here. We catch them anyways. I don't stream fish for them but I imagine if you tie into an 8 pounder on fly tackle you better have someone holding you by the beltloops. They rattle those poles pretty good when we troll for them. What are those real short fat ones they stock now? They get about 26 inches and and weigh 11 or 12 pounds.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:10 pm

We used to catch 'em out of a little creek and those things would eat your lunch. Your line would be going upstream and the fish would be going downstream because the darn things would go under or over logs and tear you up. I think those are funnest fish I've ever fished for. Sometimes they'ed get going so fast and crazy that they'ed beach themselves 50 yards downstream from us. :lol3:
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Bill Herian wrote:I'm pretty sure they still stock the skamania's up here. We catch them anyways. I don't stream fish for them but I imagine if you tie into an 8 pounder on fly tackle you better have someone holding you by the beltloops. They rattle those poles pretty good when we troll for them. What are those real short fat ones they stock now? They get about 26 inches and and weigh 11 or 12 pounds.

They call 'em Michigan Steelhead last I knew. I did hear something about a new strain they were going to try that supposedly get a lot bigger faster. I'm not sure what they called those. The Michigan Steelhead don't jump like the Skamania do. We troll for 'em here too and sometimes the Skamanias would be 5ft. out of the water 20ft. behind the boat before you even knew which rod they were on. :wink:
Papachessie
hunter

Postby jasper » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:24 pm

Wisconsin stock four strains of steelhead according to the Wisconsin Sportsman magazine. Skamania, Chamber Creek, Ganaraska and Arlee.
jasper
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Papachessie wrote: the Skamanias would be 5ft. out of the water 20ft. behind the boat before you even knew which rod they were on. :wink:

I work for a charter operation (just got my captian's license!!) and i'm itchin bad to get back into the meat in a couple months. Those Skamaias are especially fun when they come 3 or 4 at a time :beer: You wanna talk tangled lines, ive seen stuff that nightmares are made of.

I'll look up those other strians, we only catch a few every year but they look like you took a small skamania and inflated it. They're lazy fighters too. We get them in tight to shore when the water is right.
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Fishing